pet lizard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bluey is the way to go. Bearded dragons need high levels of UVB throughout their lives. Blueys need much less and mainly when they are small and actively growing. Apart from stress, geckos drop their tails if you grab hold of it or are rough on handling and, of course, they are nocturnal, active when the little tacker is asleep.

Blue

A photo of me aged 11 with a 'wild' bluetongue that lived in our yard (plus my twin and eldest sister).

Attachments

• 1965 Aug Twins 11 years.jpg
    1965 Aug Twins 11 years.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
A bluey is the way to go. Bearded dragons need high levels of UVB throughout their lives. Blueys need much less and mainly when they are small and actively growing. Apart from stress, geckos drop their tails if you grab hold of it or are rough on handling and, of course, they are nocturnal, active when the little tacker is asleep.

Blue

A photo of me aged 11 with a 'wild' bluetongue that lived in our yard (plus my twin and eldest sister).

Awesome pic!
We had a pair in the garden behind our pool that were part of the family as well. We used to chuck them BBQ scraps :D

Agree with the others, all lizards will need the correct care but as far as hardiness and tolerance for kids handling, a Bluey would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here it is again... It's no wonder people are reluctant to join &/or seekers advice & ask questions..

Yes there are a number of cynics here, and suggesting it's going to be a neglect case before they've even had the chance to read everyone's advice is overreacting. But there's also a reason to be concerned when someone wants a lizard for a 5 year old that won't take too much space and heat... If you want a pet you don't have to put effort into, you shouldn't get a pet. And there's no nice way to say that.

Ramy, Short, to the point and without any judgements. I’d say you put it nicely, in both senses of the word.

I tried several times to say something similar with my post but I far to tired and kept deleting what I wrote. From all the comments made I feel certain that Sandfireackie will explain to his mum that a ‘small lizard’ is not a viable option and the lizards that are require a certain amount of heating and space and you cannot skim or cut corners. If you have been a parent of a 5 year old you know full well any living pet will be your responsibility in looking after it. In fact, it is not until kids get to the 10 or so that they can be relied upon to provide simple needs for a living pet. Add another 2 or 3 years, and it is a whole new ball game.

If mum wants to save money, she should start spending time looking at e-bay and gumtree. There are some good bargains to be hand at times with respect to enclosures and/or fittings. OP, you will need to organise a copy of a quality care sheet so she knows what to look for. No doubt you will fully explain what commitment is required re: feeding, cleaning, freshwater etc.

Instead of presuming neglect, indicate what education is required or at least check the intention is there to provide it.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back