Pet or not

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D3pro

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just provoking some thought. Watch the video (first 3 minutes)

[video=youtube;b_vE6TQlhJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vE6TQlhJg[/video]

I agree with viperkeepers point of view. Though some snakes may be pets to us keepers, what they really are, are zoological specimens of our private zoos.

Makes you think ;)

Hey, I'm buying a Fierce Snake and I'm going to handle it everyday, hand feed it, and hand bathe it and it will be my pet.

Who even cares anymore, D3 this thread topic has been done to death.
Don't make me get the hose.

Who even cares anymore, D3 this thread topic has been done to death.
Don't make me get the hose.

I just wanted to share the video lol... and maybe I want you to get the hose.... you can wash my car (whipping sound) ;)

Last edited:
Wash your own car you pig knuckle.

I didn't watch it, my speakers are off but i give my beardies shoulder massages, i don't generally get that close to wild animals.

Wash your own car you pig knuckle.

I didn't watch it, my speakers are off but i give my beardies shoulder massages, i don't generally get that close to wild animals.

Haha, cool. Well if you ever get the chance watch it. Viperkeeper has some awesome videos

I'll start carving your tombstone :D

May I suggest…

"Last known words: Open wide”.

…. Though some snakes may be pets to us keepers, what they really are, are zoological specimens of our private zoos….
The dictionary defines pet as:
“A tame animal kept in a household for companionship, amusement, etc.”

Dictionary definitions of tame:
“Changed by man from a naturally wild state into a tractable condition” AND “Not fearful of human contact”.

It’s like Longqi said – some are, some aren’t. I would say that it depends on both the behavioural response of the animal to you and also on the reason(s) why you keep a particular animal.

Blue

I have always supported the notion that captive bred reptiles are not wildlife, they are a product of herpetoculture. However, with the wild caught reptiles from WA and NT entering the hobby, this statement can not be applied across the board. Personally, I see myself as a custodian of wildlife and my snakes are not pets. Of course I have feelings towards them I look after them with utmost care and love, they don't have names and they don't get cuddles and I do not expect any emotions from them.

As Blue said, it depends on why you keep a particular animal and also how you perceive the animal and what is your prime interest in keeping. There is no right or wrong, we all keep reptiles for different reasons and we approach them with different attitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back