Petition for Cat Curfew in Melton Shire Council Melbourne

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Complain.

Our neighbours dog used to trash our yard.

Our cat taught it a lesson.

Funny actually.

I can just say to you - deal with it. Go out of your way to keep it out of your yard and no more complaining about cat piss or whatever.

Your right, is was a wreckless comment, but I stand by it.

Every morning I get up, walk out my front door and really enjoy the smell of fresh cat urine. And I particually enjoy cleaning the cats sh#t out of my front and back garden. If you want to own a cat and call it a family pet thats great. But if I catch one in my yard............

I agree wholheartedly.
We keep native mammals in outdoor enclosures and we have three cats in particular (and a few blow ins) who harass them every night. They jump up and swipe at the animals and try to get their claws thru the wire to get them. It stresses my animals, and may one day kill some, and Iv had enough.
The worst parrt is that they are cunning, and as yet, we have not been able to... dispose of them. So atm, when we hear or see them on the surveailance cams in the enclosures, we let the dog out, who chases them away.. for a while.

None of them have collars, so it is legal here to dispose of them if we can catch them, and we will.
The stress to our animals is far worse than the piss smell in our new car, from them all marking the vents under the wipers - so they just have to go.
Why should we (us and our native mammals) have to put up with this, because irresponsable cat owners let them out all night, so they dont have to listen to them meow and scratch at the door to go out??

Those that let them out all night, dont be too surprised when they dont come home one day.
(esp if they come in my yard with no collar)

My partner and I grew up in Melton (or Meltdown, as we used to call it) and go back there all the time.
We still have family there, some of whom, have influence in the local council.
I know they would support this petition (as they are avid gardeners, and sick of sticking their fingers in cat feaces in their own yard)

There will be a few more additions to the petition, and maybe some inside support.

I let my cat out during the day and it often isn't home until 7 to 9 at night, and sometimes even later, but I put bells on my cat. I live just out-side the shire, so it is kind of my area too. Cats have a natural instinct to hunt, everyone knows that. Sure, my cat would attack anything that moves, even the postman and joggers (it has happened before) but that is it being a typical tom cat. He brings home all kinds of things that he has hunted, never yet a native animal. If he did bring home a native animal I would scold him, but that's not going to stop him. I love my cat. It is part of my family. Its like this for many people who own cats. I have my freedom to go out when I want to, why shouldn't it have freedom?
Which is worse? A wreckless comment or a wreckless owner? You think by putting bells on your cat it's ok to leave him to roam outside all day? You're dellusional. And you 'scold' your cat for bringing home a native animal but not another animal that has suffered? Well that's just plain dumb imo.
Your tom cat shouldn't have freedom to roam all day because it probably fights with other cats, roots all sorts of other cats and kills stuff (native AND non native) just to mention a few reasons.

Don't be so ignorant. Desex your cat and keep it inside.

Totally agree with rainbow serpent, DON'T BE SOOOOOO HARSH !

We have 2 cats, 1 is a purebreed lilac Ragdoll, she NEVER goes outside !

She's very docile, and wouldn't hurt a fly ! But she is very intertested in my frogs ! lol

Our other cat is a moggy, got her from animal shelter nearly 8 yrs ago, she goes outside, chases any thing that moves, as we play with the cats every day for about an hr to stimulate them ! She's my best friend :)

I think all cats SHOULD be desexed, UNLESS they are REGISTERED BREEDERS !!!!! :p

Then we wouldn't have as many cats roaming the streets ! On heat, fighting etc etc etc :x

Our moggy is getting older now, so she spends a lot more time in side, which is gr8, as i know where she is, know she's safe ! :D She only goes outside to do her buisness & she's straight back in again !

We SHOULD ALL BE SIGNING FOR DE-SEXING !!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

P.S Both our cats are desexed, 1 from breeder, they ALWAYS desex them, and moggy from animal shelter, the too do it straigh away !

Last edited:
Cmon guys, lets not be harsh on cats, they dont exactly want to be cruel, its in their nature to kill stuff, same with snakes killing rats and mice.
I personally have an outdoor cat, (but he doesnt kill stuff),

Yes, a curfew would be good, maybe if the cats are only allowed out at night, because if they are out during the day, the might hunt down a lizard or snake basking in the warm sun.
That's a FANTASTIC idea!! Let's just let them roam where ever they want so they can kill possums...considering all it takes is one tiny puncture wound on a possum from a cat for it to develop an infection and die slowly over 4 days.
Join a wildlife rescue group and see first hand what a menace cats are....then share your wisdom.

dogs aren't allowed to roam and kill things, so why should cat be allowed to? my honest opinion (opinion ONLY) is that its irresponsible to keep a cat but allow it to kill native wildlife, build it an outside run if you must, but keep the killers inside!!

A curfew is a really good start but they need to be locked up ALL the time. Locking them up at night doesn't stop them from killing or injuring reptiles which are out during the day. The one's I end up taking into care.

I'm one of the local wildlife carers in Melton and every year around this time the injured snakes and lizards start coming in. I have a little old lady that usually calls about 3 to 4 times over summer with injured Blue tongues her cats have brought home.
Maybe some of those cat owners would like to pay for some of my enclosures, heat lamps, vet bills and other expenses. Keeping cats in at night or putting a bell around it's neck won't help the local reptiles.

I don't have a problem with necking 1 animal (stray pet) to save dozens.

Some cat facts:

http://www.snakerescue.com.au/index.php?link=cats

Per

i breed cats. a curfew wont work. cats are hunters, 24/7. responsable cat owners keep their cats in-doors or looked in out-door catteries. people that let their cats roam should have their cats removed from them and if possible be fined.

De-sexing is a must. Agreed. My cat goes outside, brings home skinks, frogs, mice, drops them inside. The only thing that he's killed so far are the mice. Frog wasn't injured, nor the skink, not to say that he hasn't killed either before that I don't know about.

Keeping him indoors isn't possible, he climbs the walls literally.

As far as the cat piss everywhere, it is terrible, but my two dogs wizz on anything that doesn't move, the BBQ, a pot plant, my shoes, and they crap everywhere, no neat hole like a cat does. So far my dogs have killed more birds, and rabbits than the cat could even dream of, whatever lands in my yard is always hunted by the dogs. My dogs are dirtier than the cat.

I think there are cat haters in this world regardless of the damage to wildlife. The cats and wildlife is a serious issue and I know the damage cats do but killing a neighbours pet is a crime and cowardly act.

De-sexing is a must. Agreed. My cat goes outside, brings home skinks, frogs, mice, drops them inside. The only thing that he's killed so far are the mice. Frog wasn't injured, nor the skink, not to say that he hasn't killed either before that I don't know about.

Keeping him indoors isn't possible, he climbs the walls literally.

As far as the cat piss everywhere, it is terrible, but my two dogs wizz on anything that doesn't move, the BBQ, a pot plant, my shoes, and they crap everywhere, no neat hole like a cat does. So far my dogs have killed more birds, and rabbits than the cat could even dream of, whatever lands in my yard is always hunted by the dogs. My dogs are dirtier than the cat.

I think there are cat haters in this world regardless of the damage to wildlife. The cats and wildlife is a serious issue and I know the damage cats do but killing a neighbours pet is a crime and cowardly act.

It's not just one neighbors cat that is the problem. In any given week I could easily count at least 8 different tom cats that come through my 700m2 property.

I have no problem with my dog urinating all over my backyard, because I choose to have him there all the time.

If your cat chooses to use my yard as a playground or toilet then you should accept that one day your cat isn't going to come home. Or can I bill you on a weekly basis for cleaning up after you cats??!

8 cats is a lot of cat's to have wandering your home, lot of urinating for sure, I agree, we barely have that many cats in our whole street. Still disagree with killing a neighbours pet though.

For those cat owners that may not realise, cats don't always bring things home, some animals are left to slowly die from infection in the wild.

Per

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back