Photos of the "Giant" Retic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw some footage on 7 of it. It is massive but i doubt it is 50 foot. Could they have measured one of its sheds?? Do large pythons shed in one peice??

Hi all and Happy New Year!!

I think a lot of people are being fooled by the clever use of perspective. Nearly all of the photographs and footage give a false impression of size by placing the snake in the foreground with people at the rear - this gives the impression of greater girth and length.

Frankly I think it is hilarious :lol: that so many people are being suckered including reptile keepers (who should know better...) and the numerous news agencies and television stations - not one of them seems to have had the common sense to consult with a authoritative herpetologist for an opinion of the footage/pics - maybe they just think that it must be true because April 1st isn't here yet ??? :shock:

The fleeting last scene of the SEVEN network's footage clearly shows the keeper lying beside the stretched out snake (from side-on) and SURPRISE, SURPRISE ... we got a 2 second glimpse of the real proportions ... a snake that would probably be lucky to make 5.5 metres let alone 15 metres ... !!!

And you can't blame the Indonesians for taking advantage of the press to make a few dollars ... to them every Rupee counts :!:

Cheers

David

I agree David, nowhere near 15 metres!!! Unless the indnesian people average 5 m body lenght.

Lol this remind me plastic crock topic. To many experts LOL:wink: We will see what will be oficial lengh. I personally wait for proper mesure result. By the weight should be biger than flafy.

A wild retic is pure evil. Just ask anyone that was keeping them a few years back (see U.S. , Canadian or U.K. forums) when the only available retics were wild caught. That is about the mellowest wild retic I've ever seen. I don't believe that the snake is anywhere near 49ft. I'd buy over 20ft. but not 49ft. Even wild burms are evil as hell. I've watched the film of the snake and don't buy it at all.

I have seen several bits of footage on the news.
I am yet to see one foot let alone 49.
Maybe thats how many feet it eats a week?

In summary....
Tv...Snake....Big....end story

Evening Slateman, Shane and I just read your post and as he is the 'expert on plastic crocs( did you really need too :p ) he could tell you exactly how long the retic is and it definately isn't 15 metres.

Lol Rina. It would be nice if the snake would be longer. Just let us dreamers to dreem bit.
Do you think they have waight right?

Possibly an interesting development, if it turns out to be true. Apparently a guy in the U.S. offered $1 000 000 for the snake if it were indeed that big. A broker in Indonesia, interested in the deal went to messure the snake and it was only 6.5 meters (21ft.). This information has yet to be varified and maybe rumour. Here's the link to the source of my info on the Bob Clark forum. Go to heading BBC News: Worlds Longest Snake Captured and go to page four towards the bottom. The stuff at the top is just fodder.

http://www.bobclark.com/bcforums/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=Bob+Clark+Main

I heard that there was $ to be made for a snake to be found over 35 feet,

I'm pretty sure it was the New York Zoo that put the "bounty" on any wild caught snake over 30ft.(?). The reward was like $100 000 or something to that effect. Not sure on the exact numbers. This guy was a private individual. The reward from the zoo has never been collected and the bounty has been up for over 20 years atleast.

Q. How long is this snake?
A. its twice the length from the center to either end!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Oh yeah those Texas ones right :lol: :lol: [Everythings BIG in Texas] :D

Posted: Jan 03, 2004 - 01:36 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah those Texas ones right [Everythings BIG in Texas]

You're right Wattso, like inbreeding; that's big in Texas. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back