Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
On the trip in February, 2007, my friend and I also visited the Meekatharra/Mt. Magnet/Sandstone in the Goldfields region of Western Australia. Here are photos of some of the habitats and animals that we saw..

... granite outcrops were frequent and these were good for a variety of reptiles.
habitat6.jpg

habitat3.jpg

habitat4.jpg

habitat5.jpg

... rocky, red soil
habitat2.jpg

Lozenge-marked Dragon (Ctenophorus scutullatus[/]) -- big, nicely-marked dragons.
lozenge1.jpg

lozenge1a.jpg

lozenge3a.jpg

Central-netted Dragon ({i}Ctenophorus nuchalis
) -- a gravid female that seemed to be enjoying the hot road.
netted1a.jpg

netted2.jpg

... a juvenile that was found on the road at night.
netted3.jpg

netted4.jpg

Ornate Rock Dragons (Ctenophorus ornatus) -- this is the beautiful Goldfields race of this species. They were only found on the granite outcrops.
ornate1.jpg

ornate2.jpg

Ring-tailed Dragon (Ctenophorus caudicinctus{i]) -- This was a small and nicely marked race of this widespread species. We only found them on granite outcrops. These varied in colour and I imagine that this was related to the sex of the lizards.
ringtailed1.jpg

ringtailed2.jpg

ringtailed5.jpg

The road was unfortunately busy at night and we did not see many nocturnals at all. One that we did find was juvenile Thick-tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii) near Cue, possibly a slight range extension of this species.
thicktailed3.jpg

thicktailed1.jpg

We tried exploring a granit outcrop at night. This proved to be productive and we found several of these big, colourful Marbled Velvet Geckos (Oedura marorata)
marbled1.jpg

marbled3.jpg

marbled4.jpg

marbled6.jpg

We also found this Diplodactylus squarrosus near dry clumps of grass between a couple of granite outcrops.
squarrosus.jpg

Snakes were sadly scare or usually dead on the road. This was a big but dead Gwardar (Pseudonaja nuchalis):
gwardar1.jpg

This juvenile Rosen's Snake (Suta fasciata) was the only live snake that we saw:
rosens1.jpg

Regards,
David

Great pics mate, that milli is absolutely awesome. Love the colours on it and the large white splotches.

Nice work David. Interesting country through there, did you have a look around on the outcrops just north of Paynes Find on the Great Northern or get further off the road for a look?

Cheers
Jordan

Thanks, all. The milii was a nice one. I would like to have seen adults from that area but we saw no others of this species.

Jordan,
The rocky area was between Mt. Magnet and Meekatharra. We drove inland from Geraldton so never passed through Paynes Find on this trip.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back