Please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep him warm, and try to keep him from dehydrating, dehydration can kill quickly. Sunken eyes are one symptom of dehydration, and may be the cause of your beardy's unhealthy looking eyes. Maybe try misting him a little (during the day when the sun's up so he doesn't become too cold) to see if he'll drink some of the little droplets.

Dehydration is something I didn't think of. If he doesn't have a temperature gradient in his tank (ie warm end and cool end), he might not be able to move somewhere cooler if he wants to. Give him a tepid bath - not too warm, not too cold - a couple of times a day and see if he perks up. If it is dehydration, it sounds like it could be severe, so adding electrolytes to the water wouldn't hurt. Apparently, simple Powerade will do it - see post #14 of http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/alternative-reptile-care-167791/ for instructions on how to make an electrolyte bath.

It's something you can try in the meantime.

Glass tank in direct sunlight is a recipe for disaster.

Glass tank in direct sunlight is a recipe for disaster.

It's exactly the kind of thing that would heat up uniformly and to high temperatures, mesh lid or not. I think Eastcoastmarsh got some bad advice there.

What type of bearded dragon is it? If its a central: what is your basking spot at? I would say its a heat issue, even if he is getting a heap of UVB he needs a higher heat than our coastal eastern beardeds.

Sounds like he is getting enough UVB with you, sun = epic. If you are getting similar temps to us down here abit its far too cold. Get him a basking spot of 40-45 degrees and see if he starts looking better.

If nothing is open, you must have a bedside table lamp or something like that? Rig up something temporary if you can.

He can have all the UVB and suppliments he wants but he NEEDs the extra heat to be able to function at 100%

Good luck!

A Tank which is Glass does not give enough UAV.

We've covered that the tank has a mesh lid. Mesh isn't going to stop UVA.

I agree it could definitely be a temperature issue. He does need a temperature gradient, and even adding some shade over the enclosure (unless it's a very large enclosure) generally won't do it.
Also a major issue with outdoor enclosures: Keeping accurate and stable temperatures. The temperature outside fluctuates a LOT, even day to day, let alone with the different seasons. Have you considered moving your guy inside and setting him up with UV and heating? He can still spend some time outside in a mesh cage, but this way he has a more stable environment for his actual home and you'll have somewhere for him to escape the heat/cold depending what's going on outside.

Renenet also makes a very good point with the electrolytes. I meant to add a note about that, but with everything else I forgot to put it in there. If it is dehydration, electrolytes can be a lifesaver. Keep in mind though, even if dehydration is the most pressing issue here, there could still be an underlying cause other than incorrect temperatures. Definitely try and get to a vet as soon as you can.

x

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. He's doing okay, a lot of time in the sun did him some good in the morning, but now it's poring down rain. He is in a warm bath at the moment, which is good so he can soak up some hydration. I've just been to town, great old Bundaberg didn't have what I needed. I'm settling for a heat fan light (reptile one) and although I've heard it's not enough, I figured it could maybe help until tomorrow when I can get a vet and some proper lighting from a shop that is open and have the right stock. Should I place the heat mat under my tank for the time being to add a little more heat? I don't want to put him directly on it. Thank you skippii, a lot of people were just telling me what I already knew. You've helped. I'm setting up the heat fan now, and although it says it produces UVA and UVB, I will still invest in a proper set up ASAP. Jiemoulin, I don't understand "text talk".

It is not the OP not providing UVB it is the fact that until the OP got him he had none for 12 months. I have also asked several times if he is getting calcium and vitamins and that question still has not been answered. All the sun in the world wont help without calcium.

He is not getting a supplement no, but definitely getting the right foods, I can fix this all up tomorrow when I visit the other store.
Can anyone help me with the heat mat under artficial grass thing?
The tank is laid out with it and feels as though the heat coming from the light isn't enough. The thermometer says so. Should I place the heat mat under the grass for now? Will that make any difference?

Hi guys, thanks for all the info. He's doing okay, a lot of time in the sun did him some good in the morning, but now it's poring down rain. He is in a warm bath at the moment, which is good so he can soak up some hydration. I've just been to town, great old Bundaberg didn't have what I needed. I'm settling for a heat fan light (reptile one) and although I've heard it's not enough, I figured it could maybe help until tomorrow when I can get a vet and some proper lighting from a shop that is open and have the right stock. Should I place the heat mat under my tank for the time being to add a little more heat? I don't want to put him directly on it. Thank you skippii, a lot of people were just telling me what I already knew. You've helped. I'm setting up the heat fan now, and although it says it produces UVA and UVB, I will still invest in a proper set up ASAP. Jiemoulin, I don't understand "text talk".

All sounds good! It's great to see you jumping up and doing what's needed to get your critter in good health. The tricky part for some people is to keep on top of it. Definitely having a good setup for him will make issues like this less likely to happen again, and I'm sure he'll really appreciate it.

As others have asked, do you currently have any calcium and vitamin powders to mix in or dust some of his meals with? If he's not getting enough calcium, there will be some pretty severe repercussions down the track, you really don't want to go there. I'd recommend buying some when you're in town for the vet etc. Make sure you don't go overboard piling it into each meal, that's not good for him either. Again, I don't have experience with beardies, so you'll have to check how much/how often.

x

He doesn't need a heat mat he needs a basking light up in the low 40's or the sun on a rock that gets the same temperature and a shady retreat. He needs a separate vitamin and calcium supplement ASAP, the right foods are not going to cut it without these. I am almost 100% convinced he is suffering from calcium deficiency. I would move the enclosure inside and set up proper light as, like stated earlier, a glass tank in the sun is asking for trouble. I realise you wanted to save him from someone who had no clue but you should have researched before hand as well. No offence but the vet sounds like he/she has no clue either as I would have been providing the proper nutritional supplements before suggesting putting the tank outside.

Yknow, an adult beardies diet should be mostly veggies. 70% at least.It's adult, right? Sounds like a combo of too many bugs, not enough veggies and calcium deficiency. I'd suggest cracking open a banana, mashing some powder into it, and spending some time in the sun with him ASAP.

With every question I have regarding what materials I have RIGHT NOW, its not getting answered. I'm just getting told things that have been mentioned before.

.....I'd tell you something new, but I'd get another infraction.

With every question I have regarding what materials I have RIGHT NOW, its not getting answered. I'm just getting told things that have been mentioned before.

Then tell us what you want to hear as right now you are getting very sound advice and disregarding it. The sun, outdoors, water and heat are all there for the taking and there are various ways to use them together to assist you.

It is because things being mentioned before are vital to the health of the dragon. What you have on hand is a heat mat which is useless. What you need is supplements and good quality heat from either the sun or a light. If you don't want to take the advice offered and just want to cut corners the dragon is going to die. Go to the local supermarket and get some cuttlefish and grind it up, at least then the poor thing will get some calcium. While there buy a high wattage spotlight or light globe and set it up any way you can and get the basking spot up to 42-45. get him out in the mesh enclosure for at least half an hour a day and add some good quality vegetables to his diet.

No need for caps mate. Don't get frustrated with the advice. People are trying to help you. I know it is horrible for you to see your sick animal, but read the help you are getting and use what you can for now. Good luck with him and good on you for taking him on.

He is not getting a supplement no, but definitely getting the right foods, I can fix this all up tomorrow when I visit the other store.

He should be getting calcium supplements, especially if there's any chance that he has a deficiency. Dust his crickets with calcium and sprinkle it on his salad. In a healthy dragon this can be done two or three times a week; too much calcium isn't good for them either. In a calcium deficient dragon, every day should be fine. Vitamin supplements are a good idea too, but less often (once a week). You can order both in powder form from the Herp Shop. In the meantime, try KJ's cuttlefish idea.

To summarise, I would:

1) Move his tank inside
2) Get a basking light with a basking spot set up
3) Put up a UV light as soon as you can
4) Start calcium and vitamin supplements
5) Make sure he gets enough hydration
6) Give him some regular outdoor time - if he is suffering a calcium deficiency, sunlight will help him metabolise the calcium supplement very efficiently. Besides which, it's just plain good for any dragon's health. Give him access to shade and water when he is outside.

If that doesn't perk him up, I think you will need to chat to a vet who has reptile experience. Without seeing the dragon, people here can really only make their best guesses about what might be going on with yours. No one here wants to frustrate or upset you; like you, we just want your beardie to get better.

Okay. His tank is now inside, he has a 13w 10uvb light up one end, and a 50w infrared basking light up the other. He's got calcium powder, although it isn't much use to him as he won't eat anything. He was eating earlier this morning, although only tiny amounts, now he just won't eat a thing, he also keeps moving away from the heat, and more towards the uv. His eyes look worse, and is still black on his beard and tail.

And sorry guys, for the attitude. I just want this little guy healthy again :) I hope proper lighting lightens him up, I feel like I'm watching him die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back