PLEASE HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashlee.doherty0702

Reaction score
My bluey has had a sore near his leg for a while and has just starting to form a new one new his arm I'm needing some help to identify what's happening

Attachments

• IMG20230211094640.jpg
    IMG20230211094640.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230211094636.jpg
    IMG20230211094636.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I agree with Herpetology that a vet needs to look at it. In the meantime, the wounds should be treated. Firstly, clean them by putting the bluey in a 1 cm tepid bath (no more than 30oC) of Betadine Lotion, diluted to 1 part Betadine Lotion to 9 parts water. Allow the lizard to soak for 20 - 30 mins and then thoroughly swab the wound area with gauze to remove any dirt and debris, dead skin along the edge of the wound, and unshed slough (that appears to be present in the photos provided). Once the wounds are clean and debrided, dress them with an antimicrobial cream such as Betadine cream or Silvazine cream (silver sulphadiazine; made by Smith & Nephew). Change the dressing daily. Bath and re-clean the wounds if there is appear to be a measure of pus exuding from it. For re-cleaning, the Betadine bath can be shortened to 5 mins or so.

Following initial treatment the lizard should be kept in an essentially germ free environment. A thoroughly cleaned, bleach disinfected, rinsed, dried and sun-soaked aerated aquarium, using paper towelling as a substrate, makes for an excellent “hospital enclosure”.

The next thing to do is to determine the potential source of the wounds. Is there any portion of the substrate that is wet or moist? It should be dry overall. Have the lizard’s droppings been completely scooped out at least twice a week and replaced with dry substrate? Does it share its enclosure with another inmate or more? Are there any particularly hard and sharp objects present in its environment? Double check the temperature gradient to ensure it is up to par. Is freshwater provided at least twice a week? Does the lizard tend to spill its water bowl? Has your lizard been in contact with other lizards over the past 3 months? Are you providing a full set of vitamin supplements designed for bluetongues at the recommended frequency and amount? What is the nature of the diet that your lizard is eating?

You don’t need to answer these questions on the forum. However, providing all this information to your vet will likely be very helpful. I’d therefore recommend you formulate a set of written answers to these questions which you can then forward to the vet when you see her or him.

I wish you and your bluey well.

Last edited:
Back