Please ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Had someone nice enough to send me a wolf spider (I think?) that they caught.. He is really really interesting. He seems to be a fairly visual predator as he crash tackled a cricket from halfway across his takeaway container. I've named him "Crazy" because he is a little mental. Throws a massive defensive posture when bothered.. Very cool.

Very active and very inquisitive (well, it seems so hahaha). I have next to no idea about true spiders, so could someone cast an expert eye?

crazy006.jpg

crazy005.jpg

crazy004.jpg

crazy003.jpg

crazy001.jpg

Cheers,
Phil

hey :D guess what! i have one exactly the same i only just got him a few days ago! he also crash tackled a few crix i chucked in for him. myne was on top of the substrate for a few days, then for a couple i thought i lost him. however waking up in the night (for night time snacking lol) i saw him in his box! what they do is bury just under the substrate and have little 'trigger' wires running across the container. they will wait till night and ambush things that get stuck or run over the threads. sooo awesome to watch! my guess is yes its a wolf spider. they are great to watch, especially the way they preen themselves :p
hope that helps a bit,
regards

Nat ;)

JACK! (had to lol)

I know very little about spiders - do all species of wolf spider have cytotoxic venom? You often see necrotic after effects from their bites...

Yep he's a wolf,i have a big one living out the back in a hole in the pavers,he sits out at night and i throw him some moths very cool.
i think these guys preffer to be kept a litle dryer.

I hope he gets big. Do they all get decent size on them?

yup, lycosoid for sure, these guys are not like t's and other old world spiders, these guys are active surface predators and quite interesting to watch when they hunt their prey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back