poweraid to herps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dont have time to read this whole thread as im at work, so if someone else mentioned it, i appologise.

but this roumor has some serious substance to it, both i, and plenty of other keepers professional and hobby alike use a product by T-rex called "hydro life", which is an advanced electrolite complex in liquid form (as is poweraid) and pretty much brings lizards and snakes back from the brink of death! after just 3-10 days on this stuff i find them hyperactive and begging to be fed real food! i believe there is a similar product called "leapin lizards"

infact i use a few t-rex formulas on my lizards weekly, and some every other day even! i use solar drops (liquid D3, which is what the animals get from sunlight/UVB), boneaid- which is a liquid intensifyed calcium (used in conjunction with the solar drops), and every two or three feeds for the pythons illactually inject a thawed rat in the stomache with a weak mixture of all three!

A dyhydrated animlal needs electrolytes, if an animal is at this stage of dehydration it should already be at the vet.
Vets will give animals fluids s/c or iv and these actually contain these electrolytes.

As for giving animals gatorade.....you could in an emergency situation.......but there are other forms of electrolytes out there to give to animals and you could have some on hand, just in case.
These don't contain the high amount of sugar and would have instructions.

Just my little bit :D

I used gatorade to help rehydrate a copperhead that came in sick,
(probably post partum) but it was in a bad way untill i got the powerade into it.
It ate a few days later and was released with no further problems..
Could have been a lucky coincidence but i reckon the gaterade worked.

as in my post above, it was no coincidence....
but as bryony mentioned there are better forms of electrolite for animals.

complex electrolites are what we used to put in the drips at the vetsn (no im not a vet, and i dont work there anymore either)

Nuthin2do and Bryony are both on the money, there are more appropriate products, Hartmans, Lectade etc but remember they are not made with reptiles in mind. They have elements that are normally lost during extreme situations of stress or exertion. In reptiles this may not be the case and the same elements if used in excess can exacerbate the very same problem you are trying to alleviate, dehydration.

i have listed reptile intended products in my post if anyone needs them, they are widely available on shelf in stores.

I've never used anything like this with my snakes. But when I used to breed parrots used to give them these supplements occassionally that I got from this chemist that used to maunufacture supplements for racing pigeons and other animals out at Riverstone (cant remember the name of the place) but it was top shelf vitamin powder, mineral powder and an electrolyte powder.

They also used to maunufacture this protein stuff called APE (animal protein extract) that had all the amino acids etc. It was a crumbly biscuit type mix.

I used to add a touch of these products in my lorikeet mixes and for my conures etc. It was awesome stuff. I also used to add some liquid calcium Sandoz to the mix as well and for hand rearing.

Last edited:
does this mean reptiles will now get work on powerade ads lol good bye brett lee and other sport stars

Last edited:
common sence

there is a product avalible but cant remeber for the life of me what its name is for reptiles that dose everything poweraid dose for us but its for reptiles and dosent contane high amounts of sugar

thank you dragon tail dont you hate when that happens

Just remember these shouldn't be part of an animals regular feed, these are for re-hydration.

I am not 100% sure about using it while animals are gravid.....personally i wouldn't.....but post baby nutrients bump up would possibly be beneficial for animal condition.

Just do not rely on these products for general wellbeing.

Defiently not a good idea powerade is used replace salt and minerals compounds lost during intense exercise and was developed for human use.Its short term effects may benefit the beardie but in the long term could be very detrimental.I wouldnt risk it.

Defiently not a good idea powerade is used replace salt and minerals compounds lost during intense exercise and was developed for human use.Its short term effects may benefit the beardie but in the long term could be very detrimental.I wouldnt risk it.

He he he have a read back through the thread, we have already gone past that bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back