powerboards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilia

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,

Can you run 2x 12way power boards off 1 double adaptor?
or can you piggy back powerboards?. I'm using alot of very low wattage heaters and lights (under 2400 watts). Can't really get anymore powerpoints installed either.

Cheers.

A responsible electrician would say no to piggy backing but that being said a single outlet is capable of around 2400 watts output if required. Piggy backing increases the chance of a high resistance joint which in turn heats up making the resistance higher causing more heat and potentially a fire.

If i had to do it I would use really good quality power boards but it is not a recommended practice. The biggest danger is overloading and it doesn't sound like you would be doing that.

Im sorry reptilia but you seem to be missing the point that two users have now pointed out . . . . it is not a recommended practice

the outlet may well be capable of putting out 2400w. but as Andynic has pointed out, the powerboard is your weak link. i had ONE 1200 watt heater (name brand) running at about 3/4 output plugged into a name brand powerboard, it was the only thing plugged into it and i was only using it as i needed the extra length. and after and hour or so i noticed a distinct smell or burning plastic... the powerboard had warped and was horribly distorted / melted.

why take the chance......... (i didnt even know they make 12way powerboards )

I don't see overload as the biggest danger. I see fire as the biggest danger. Overload would just trip the breaker. The heat, bad connections and number of joins is the major problem.
Yeah fire is the biggest problem but if quality boards are used the fire danger imo comes from an overloaded powerboard. The outlet is rated at 10 amps and the circuit protection should be 20 amps and usually will not trip right on 20 amps. A cheap low quality powerboard imo is far greater risk of catching fire.

interesting thread I will be thinking more about my current set up and how to reduce it.

Yeah fire is the biggest problem but if quality boards are used the fire danger imo comes from an overloaded powerboard. The outlet is rated at 10 amps and the circuit protection should be 20 amps and usually will not trip right on 20 amps. A cheap low quality powerboard imo is far greater risk of catching fire.
That's rubbish. Any powerboard has the same risks. But would I know. Only became a sparky in 1995...

That's rubbish. Any powerboard has the same risks. But would I know. Only became a sparky in 1995...
I started my apprenticeship in 95 so yes you do have 4 years up on me but I do quite regularly work with high resistance joints working for Energex.

Go to your seperate corners boys, or at the very least agree to disagree........

you both have valuable QUALIFIED input to provide,

Also it's the leads not plugged in properly that become a massive hazard. The sheer weight often stops them from making a good connection. We all know that poor connections create heat and also lead to fires.

Anyways. One powerboard per outlet. Always check them for heat and make sure you plugs are in properly. If you can't do it with one power board. You need to get a sparky out to put more outlets in for you.

My question to you is if each powerboard and each outlet of each powerboard is within its rating and each has a good solid connection where does the heat come from to create the fire?

Go to your seperate corners boys, or at the very least agree to disagree........

you both have valuable QUALIFIED input to provide,
Well I've nearly finished my electrical engineering degree. So really I'm better ;)

My question to you is if each powerboard and each outlet of each powerboard is within its rating and each has a good solid connection where does the heat come from to create the fire?
In an ideal world there would be no heat. However any of the state fire brigades will tell you that we certainly do not live in such a world.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm using these powerboards currently.

Edit by Jax: sorry no links so I've posted the pic instead

du8yjahe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In an ideal world there would be no heat. However any of the state fire brigades will tell you that we certainly do not live in such a world.
Like I said a lot of what I said is my opinion by applying my electrical knowledge even if it may be eclipsed by others with electrical degrees and I really think that a lot of fire men see the ill affects of either poor quality power boards or as you pointed out a powerboard that is piggy backed and the weight of the plugs has made a bad connection. I am in agreeance with you about not using multiple powerboards is the best way to go but wanted to also point out that it could be done if done in the correct manner.

Okay sparkys ....
The specs on that powerboard are as follows :
12 outlets with 10A with 450J surge protection and RFI filtering,

What does this mean in reptile world application.

For example: Can you SAFELY plug in 6 x 100 w heating globes and 6 x 15 w fluoro lights ?

Don't get too technical it's late and my brain is likely to implode !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back