Probe Thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_im_sam

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was just wondering where people generally placed the probe in a probe thermostat? I haven't used them before, and can't figure out if I should just hang it from the roof in the right spot, or mount it somewhere else - I suppose my main question is, will the snake climb on it? Does anyone have any problems with that, or is it really not an issue?

Also, would just plugging the hole with silicone be enough to stop it from being pulled out if a snake did decide to hang from it?

Thanks a lot for your help, anyone with experience with probe thermostats please let me know what your thoughts are :D cheers!

-sam

well it depends on where you want to check the temps, I place the prob in the heat is most, usually fasten to the rear of the cage under the light, I keep that temp that is recommended for that herp under the light and I have a thermometer at the other end of the cage to make sure it doesnt get to cold to prevent thermal burns and doesnt get to hot so that the animal can't thermal regulate

Yup, like marc says the probe is better fixed securely for two reasons, 1/. the snake probably will climb on it if it gets the opportunity and 2/. most of these probes have a sharpish end to them so if you fix them with the end against the wall of the enclosure the snake can't injure itself on this sharp bit.
If the probe is fixed then silicone should be enough to hold it at the point of entry as long as the capilliary is fixed in such a way that the snake can't get around it. Best way to do this is to drill the entry hole right where you want the probe as then you don't have any cappilliary inside the enclosure to worry about. Hope this helps :)

shaun said:
Hi guys,
I know what they are used for etc but how does a thermostat work?

inside most thermostats is a coil that expands(when cool) and contracts (when hot) as it expand(cooling) it will touch an point were the electrical ciruit is allowed to continue (turning on the lights), when hot the coil will detract disconecting the two point and cutting off the ciruit(turning off the lights), some of the more exy thermos will use murcery for a more acurate reading.
hope that helps :lol: bit hard to explain without a diagram

Hey Everyone! Just wondering which is better...probed or not? ;)Also, which is the best place to put thermostats?
Am I able to hook a light up to a timer and a thermostat?
Still waiting for the leccy to call back, getting impatient :)
Thank-you!

marc wrote:

inside most thermostats is a coil that expands(when cool) and contracts (when hot) as it expand(cooling) it will touch an point were the electrical ciruit is allowed to continue (turning on the lights), when hot the coil will detract disconecting the two point and cutting off the ciruit(turning off the lights), some of the more exy thermos will use murcery for a more acurate reading.
hope that helps :lol: bit hard to explain without a diagram[/quote]

Its actually the other way around, when things are hot they expand, cold they contract

Yes Ella, you can wire the timer to feed the stat so when the timer goes off the stat will not turn on the heat source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back