Proposed laws trigger cat fight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
WEST Australian cat owners could have their homes searched and their pets seized if they're found not to be sterilised, microchipped and registered under proposed laws, the state opposition says.

baKWv58BQeE

Published On: 07-Sep-11 06:11 PM
Source: AAP via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

I love cats, but it still sounds like a great idea to me. I like responsible cat owners, and this will encourage it!

I have to wonder though, do they this to the same degree for dogs? I don't know of any regulations that sieze your dog if its not speyed/castrated or microchipped... I know dogs need to be registered, and places are now bringing out compulsory microchipping, but not desexing.

Last edited:
im all for it!,
cats get away with so much more than dogs,
its about time cats are brought in to line (they should do this nation wide )

I can't see a downside, other than the fact it will be virtually impossible to enforce. Still, it does set a good precedent.

Its a great thing. I have no issue with the same being done with dogs though i think a dogs envioronmental impacts fade into insignificance when compared to roaming cats. How many cats do you see roaming the country side for every dog?

I own 3 cats and this sounds like a fantastic idea.

what about breeders? how will this be of any benefit to them?

It's a bit crazy but a good idea, i have one cat and she is de-sexed, microchipped and registered. I think if they are going to do this but they need to supply help for de-sexing as it is not freaking cheap! I know microchipping is only like $30 but its still around $80 just for the vet consult, which some people wouldnt be able to just fork out, like pensioner's, single families or people that are just plain struggling.

what about breeders? how will this be of any benefit to them?

I THINK dont quote me because i might be wrong, but if they are a registered breeder they wouldnt make them do it??
Thats the whole point isnt it? To keep the cat population down and make sure there are no back yard breeders

There is already heaps of discount desexing if you are genuinely in a low income situation.
Having worked in the cat rescue industry and seen hundreds of kittens and cats put down, having had tiny ones die in my hands because someone couldnt be bothered to desex there cat, This is an awesome idea and i think it should be country wide.
It's a bit crazy but a good idea, i have one cat and she is de-sexed, microchipped and registered. I think if they are going to do this but they need to supply help for de-sexing as it is not freaking cheap! I know microchipping is only like $30 but its still around $80 just for the vet consult, which some people wouldnt be able to just fork out, like pensioner's, single families or people that are just plain struggling.

I have two cats and I am happy for them to put that into place.

The only thing I object to is having all of our private information made public so that people can make a complaint if our cat should be caught out and about. I have a private home phone and I dont want anyone having access to it. Council is ok but the general public, no not at all.

What I would like to also see put in place is anyone selling or giving away cats and dogs is that chips and desexing be done by the seller, we have have an obligation when it comes to our reptiles and having them registerd so to speak, movement advice etc, we also have obligations for other non animal related things, transfering rego or selling a car etc, you need a paper trail for that.

If you want to breed your pet you have to have a licence to breed, even before you buy an animal if that is what your intention is, other wise if you are just happy to have another family member make sure that they are chiped and desexed when you get them.
That is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hmm, I dont really like the idea that if I own a cat it gives the authorities the right to perform a search on my home

I agree Goldmember, home searches and public access to your information, hmmm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't owning reptiles bring the same? I know that in QLD they can search you, if they want.

Yes, they can, but they already know you have reptiles, how are they going to justify searching peoples houses because they suspect they have cats. They also don't publish a database of reptile keepers for anyone to view.

True, I don't necessarily agree with that part. Cat control is something that needs to happen, there are way too many cats out there that are either strays or people don't look after properly.

True, I don't necessarily agree with that part. Cat control is something that needs to happen, there are way too many cats out there that are either strays or people don't look after properly.
Agreed, my poor cat can't go outside even if he was allowed to, he has fits so it is way to dangerous for him to be allowed to roam around.

I agree it needs to happen, but not at the cost of our privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back