Question about Lamp Covers.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AntaresiaLady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We currently have an exoterra heat lamp in a stupid bucket thing.

We want to move it to a better spot, and so we need something snake proof to cover it with.

We've seen some 'cages' that go over lights, but we were wondering- if they're made of metal (all the ones we've seen are) when the light gets hot, won't the light cage get hot too? I thought the idea was for them to protect the snake from being burned- couldn't the hot metal burn the snake as well?

Our other option is to get a heat mat the right size, and just use that for her hot spot. Problem is getting it the right size for the enclosure. My head hurts just thinking about it!

I'm running out of ideas fast. You guys have helped me with other stuff- so who better to ask this?

They do heat up but nowhere near as hot as a raw globe,aswell its alot harder to wrap around a cage than a globe.There are other issues with covers,small snakes have been known to crawl into light covers with a to big of a gap,then not being able to get out & die very quick.So be absolutely certain that this can not happen.A tip for people whos snakes seem to be going up to the light alot,put in a teir or branch closer to the heat source.

Cheers popp

The key to the light cages working well is ventilation which distributes the heat and cools things down. If the cages allow good air flow they will get no hotter than anything positioned that far away from the heat souce if you know what I mean.

To stop smaller critters getting into the light cage I have successfullly put a stocking (or part of one) over the light cage and this has worked well. The presumption that the stocking would get hot and melt/burn was without foundation on my part. The only real problem with the stocking was avoiding getting runs when putting it over the light cage... and the fact that I had to buy new stockings (sock variety) as trader doesn't wear them (due to her beautiful skin and naturally sexy legs) and I don't wear them either. ;-) ;-)

Thanks for that advice! I've been looking at your covers with much interest, but didn't want to get one unless I was sure it wouldn't hurt Hermione. I should take a photo of the bucket that her light is currently in...its just too big for the enclosure IMO, but also in the wrong spot!

I've also been debating getting a heat mat for her, as I'd like to eliminate the light if I can (or at least just have a blue/red one that we can switch on at night so we can see her). At least then I don't have to worry about how far down the light needs to be in order to heat anything up. Thats the other issue with just caging the light- it won't create a 'spot' and if roof mounted won't be warm enough to warm up a spot on the enclosure floor. I think thats why they put it into this bucket.

One day I'll get it so she's got the perfect enclosure....

So do the stockings melt at all? And do you run the heatlights off a thermostat?

I've seen pics of trader- she doesn't need stockings at all, so I see your dilemma! Perhaps you should just buy a LOT at one time (they might think you're a bit kinky tho!)...or you could tell them you're going to make jars and jars of pickled people, or your mother/grandmother has a fetish for stockings LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back