Questions about incubator temps and eggs.(snake)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ralliart3

Reaction score
Hey guys after some info from the experienced. I know no one can guarantee what is going to happen but would like to hear peoples opinions.
After rotating my male darwin between three females I didn't think any of them were gravid but got home two nights ago and one of the smallest females had laid eggs.Now she had laid three in one spot separate to the main clump (the main clump was being incubated by her) didnt know how many eggs she had under her. Went straight out and paid $300 for a incubator (from a reptile shop) and took it home to stabilize the temps before putting the eggs in. The temps in the incubator always went to high for liking 33deg + so returned it the next day and left her to incubate the eggs.
Got a bird incubator($400) the next day and this also went to high as well 36deg so returned that as well. No one in Adelaide had any suitable incubators without me waiting a week for them to come in. So at this stage I decided to make a incubator myself.I have done this and have acheived a temp variation from 29.3 to 31.2 . Is this variation to much (the bible says between 29 to 32 are ideal temps but does it need to be more steady than what I have?).
Just as I was completing the incubator she got of her main clump which we now could see was seven eggs and went and coiled her self around the separate three on there own.Some of the eggs in the clump and on there own had some dents in them is this normal or are they slugs?

I am still going to incubate all the eggs but wonder

1.If she discarded three eggs at first does that mean they are no good?
2.She got off the main clump for about 45mins before I got them into the incubator.(Will this have stuffed the eggs?)
3.Do you have to bury the clump in the vermiculite as I made a small indent in the vermiculite and sat the clump in that but did not cover it all?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Results: Three slugs (found this out early as they smelt horrible) and the other 7 all hatched.20150106_111205_Richtone(HDR).jpg20150106_111122_Richtone(HDR).jpg
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back