Questions about mites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvthemtorts

Reaction score
I noticed my Pink Tongue Skinks have what appears to be mites. These are not the typical black or red mites that I have seen on snakes but rather a greyish white color. They tend to just wonder around the skinks bodies and are VERY quick in their travels sometimes congregating on the top of their heads in relatively large numbers.
I am wondering if these are indeed a predatory mite that might be harmful or simply a type of wood dwelling mite that causes no harm but just look gross. In addition the animals are not using their water bowls to soak which is pretty typical behavior in snakes as they try to relieve the irritation that snake mites cause. Appetite and activity is normal as well as shedding.
The Pinkies are kept on Cypress mulch which is misted once daily which obviously results in a humid environment. By contrast my Cunninghams and Blue Tongues which are kept on dry Aspen have not been affected even though they are in close proximity to the Pink Tongue enclosures.
This leads me to believe that they are simply some type of wood dwelling mite that thrives in moist/humid condition but I would really like some input from others whomay have experienced the same thing.
Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back