Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DanN said:
Crustaceans are close relatives of insects and share many features with them. The White bellied Mangrove snake feeds on Crabs. It pulls them apart then eats them. :D

yeah very cool I think....abstract from wilson and swan Complete guide to Reptiles of Australia 2003

feed almost exclusively on crabs, pressing against substrate with coils, immobilising with venom, and often biting off legs and claws before consuming them. It is the only Australian snake known to dismember prey in this unqgue manner

Wow, the info u find in this forum is amazing, um i knew about the bandy bandy (bein the skink eater) but i didnt know about the insectivorous or that trippy crab eaten one (mind wonders on the thought of crab eating lol .... clean minded of course) you learn something new everyday

Those crab eating snake's remind me of my striped coastal at feed time it says there "It is the only Australian snake known to dismember prey " my lil guy rip's the leg's of the rats and destroy's the head of it then swallow's the mess he made of the rat lol

here here lol id love to see where newbie's would get that kind of info from lol if it's not a book or google

I'm sure I heard Little Whip Snakes will take insects as well

And as for fish eating snakes slim6y, most Vens will eat fish. Fish are actually a good starter food for very small neonates such as Tigers and Copperheads. Blacks are quite happy to eat them as well.

I heard Red Belly Black snakes will sometimes catch fish whilst swimming. Dunno if thats true.

Maybe someone would be interested to find out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back