Radiant enclosure heaters

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building two new enclousures each 6 * 2 * 2. Instead of using the conventional bulb heaters I am looking at installing a couple of radiant heaters. I was just wondering if anyone in APS used these as cage heaters and which size of heater would be needed to heat an enclosure of this size.

Thanks,
Franco

I have recently been looking at these products and I must say they seem to be an excellent item. They are a little pricey but you must remember that these panels last alot longer then any other heat source on the market and if I remember correctly,come with a 10 year garuntee.Magpie uses heat radient panels and swears by them,perhaps he can fill you in more about them.

Thanks John,

I'll be interested in hearing what Magpie has to say about them. I agree that they are a little pricy but will outlast any bulb 100 fold.

Yeah, I use them and reckon they are great. I don't use any light in my cages and as the only light they put out is the little red LED that tells you when they are working, they suit me to a T. Also, the heat is spread out rather than from a point source which I prefer. They are a bit pricey, but you only have to replace your ceramic bulb a few times to make up the diference and when you start buying $400 worth of blue bulbs at a time (like some friends of mine do) you might start to wish you'd gone for a long term solution. For a 6 footer, I'd use the 160W panels. I use the 50 Watters in my 4x2x2 and they do the job, but not with a lot of margin and our house is usually pretty warm. I put the hide under the heat source, which allows them to bask on the roof, giving a basking spot that is often 33-38C whilst maintaning cage temps of 30-32C (warm side.) A six foot cage gives you the opportunity to put a hide down the cool end as well.
I don't know about the 10 year guarrantee, contact the supplier for that info. I tend to just chuck any paperwork that comes with my stuff, I can never find it if I keep it anyway :( . But they do have a theoretical life of 50 years really. The ones from the herp shop are a heat tape type thing (like those really thin heat pads, conductors sandwiched between layers of plastic) but a much higher wattage. They are enlosed in a metal (powdercoated) box with fibreglass insulation on the top to limit heat escaping through the top. On / Off is via a toggle switch on the side with a red LED.

Thanks Magpie.

Just wondering if you had the heaters hooked up to a thermostat. I am looking at keeping diamonds in the enclosure and am looking at relatively low temps in comparison to say a darwin. Does it do the heater any harm to be turned on and off via a thermostat?

Yep, I run them through a thermostat, no probs there. :D You can even run them through a dimmer (rheostat) type thermostat.

Magpie,

What is the difference in the amount of electricity used by a radiant heater compared to normal ligh bulbs? Do the work out more economical in the long run?

:)

I don't have one, but I would have thought a 100 watt panel would use the same power as a 100 watt anything else.

A 100W heat panel would use the same amount of electricity as a 100W light globe if it ran for the same amount of time. Heat panels are a bit more efficient, as are ceramics. The savings probably aren't going to be very big however, it's more the cost of replacing the globes every 2-3 months for incandescents and 1-2 years for ceramics. :)

For those who disagree with my idea that they are more efficient (I know from past experience that you are out there,) I'll explain. A light globe turns electrical energy into 2 diferent types of energy (3 if you include the small amount of sound they make.)
1) Light energy - about 5-25% depending on what source you believe
2) Heat energy - 75-95%
The light energy is then absorbed by various surfaces and turned back into, you guessed it heat energy (mostly anyway)
However, both the heat and light given out by a light bulb are non directional. If you use white melamine cages, a fair bit of both these is reflected by the melamine and goes out the glass door. The energy that does this then heats up the room, not the enclosure. A heat panel or ceramic converts almost 100% of it's electrical energy into heat. This heat energy is fairly directional and is directed straight down, where it can be absorbed by the hide placed directly below or a basking rock or piece of slate. I've never done or seen any studies to prove it, but I reckon you'd get a 5-25% increase in efficiency by using one of these heat sources. Mind you, a reflector IR globe pointed straight at a peice of slate is probably going to be the champ... :D

:)

Thank you, professor Magpie! :wink: :eek: You raised some interesting points that I hadn't considered! Guess you really DO learn something new every day!

Also just to add to the Professor, ceramics and radiators also maintain their heat for a while after the power is off and hence they tend to have to go on and off less often and this also contributes to electrical fatigue and eventual failure of bulbs in the longer term. Its is the same principle that oil column heaters work on heat the oil for a short period of time and then let the oil radiate the heat out while the power is off.

Cheers Hawkeye

I use only radiant heat panels on all my cages. I have had some for over 10 years and no problems. Safe and efficient. I get them from www.pro-products.com

I do not know if he ships to Australia but you can email him ([email protected].) to ask about how much wattage and such in regard to the size enclosures.

Hugs and Hissessss,
Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back