Rat breeding problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwinana

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been successfully breeding rats for years to feed my snakes but am having problems over the last six months with less pregnancies, smaller litters and more stillborns. We have introduced some new stock but the problem persists. They are fed lots of fruit/vege scraps as well as a dry mix of rat pellets and dog biscuits (which hasn't changed over the years). We recently found some of the pellets had weevils in them...could this be the problem? I would have thought that would not bother the rats. Any suggestions on what we could do to increase our breeding success?

rat problem

they say you are sposed to chainge breeders every 6-8 months as they get lower clutch rates.
;)

Please just try searching, all of these questions have been answered so many times already.

Could be a number of things but I would suggest the winter period is the culprit as my colony hasn't breed well for at least the last 4 months, but I am expecting them to pick up in spring. The weavels would just be extra protein for them - nothing to be concerned about.
Cheers

Please just try searching, all of these questions have been answered so many times already.
That was helpful, I am having the same probs with mine I have changed out stock introduced new males etc just not as successful as recent yrs. I've searched everywhere on here and doesn't tell me why my specific rats in my specific circumstances aren't doing as well as rats past so scorps as your the pro can you tell me why mine aren't breeding as well as same time last year when nothing except stock has been altered, I have 60 females and 20 males. My mice on other hand are breeding better than ever before with regular 18 baby litters surviving till adulthood. Six mice turned into 500+ really quickly

I have been successfully breeding rats for years to feed my snakes but am having problems over the last six months with less pregnancies, smaller litters and more stillborns. We have introduced some new stock but the problem persists. They are fed lots of fruit/vege scraps as well as a dry mix of rat pellets and dog biscuits (which hasn't changed over the years). We recently found some of the pellets had weevils in them...could this be the problem? I would have thought that would not bother the rats. Any suggestions on what we could do to increase our breeding success?

There is no need to mix rat pellets with other things like dog food. I see people writing this time and time again and it makes no sense. That would be like me saying I feed my cat cat food mixed with guinea pig food LOL. Rats need what is in rat food. A good quality rat pellet has perfect nutrition for rats to grow and breed at full potential. Feeding a bunch of other things along side it, including a lot of fruit and veg scraps, does not improve anything for breeding or health, and can actually make things worse. Rat pellets such as Cummins and Lauke Mills, have the correct ratio of nutrients for rats to get the most out of their food. Really good quality rats can do well on any diet, even the worst diet, but rats that are sick or have weaker genetics will start to loose condition and have reduced reproductive success if the dietary needs aren't spot on.

Rats will naturally have less reproductive success as they get older and become seniors, although I am guessing that you have not been breeding the same pairs the whole time, so it is probably something else :p If you are adding new rats and the same thing is happening to the breeding groups of new rats, it is obviously due to an aspect of husbandry, which could be any number of things, including time of year/temperature. It would not be the weevils, I would only worry about mouldy food, not bug infested food, as rats would love to eat bugs anyway.

Improving genetic traits relating to reproductive success, through outcrossing, inbreeding and selective breeding, can take multiple generations, and you may have accidentally been selecting towards smaller litter sizes and less milk production and ability to hold condition, over the years. If this is the case and it isn't about husbandry, then it may be easier to just start again to save time and resources. Although if you were attached to the lineage, you could work on it and make progress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back