Rats and Myco

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swaddo

Reaction score
Just wondering if Myco in rats poses any threat to our reptiles? One of my breeders is sneezing and showing red mucus around her nose.

Nah it shouldnt bother them, it doesnt even effects humans(the type the rats get). I think some of mine may have it as heaps of them were sneezing after introducing a new rat, it seem to be getting better now though. From what i understand it is carried by most rats but needs something to trigger the illness.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-herps/rats-with-a-cold-94185

They have myco. All rats carry myco, but you only see flare ups in animals with poor immune systems. Cull the rats and get some new ones from a healthy line (feeder rats usually are healthier than rats bred for pets), they're fine to feed off to snakes.

Totally incorrect :lol: not a mental disease, and not harmless.

Head tilting is not caused by myco, it is usually caused by an ear infection but can also be a neurological problem. The red mucus is caused by myco.

You can breed rats with myco flare ups, but you're better off having healthy animals. Animals with myco are more difficult to breed and don't live as long.

Cheers
Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back