Raven Care Sheet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad hey, kill it first ask questions later, you would expect more from a group of people who care about (certain species) of native wildlife! tsk tsk

Ravens are native? I did not know that. we put out poisoned eggs in our empty nest boxes, the only animals that go for them are crows, which are a massive pest. Tookie is a honey, good luck

Hey Liz, he was bought in the other day by a person who had found it in their yard.
The parents of the raven were not around (so im told) and they own cats and dogs.They had no idea what to do with it and my bird lady has her hands full with a couple of tawny frogmouth youngsters
and she couldnt take it, so she asked me to.
....So i said ill take it in, but its like having a human baby.

Tookie is so cute.

Goodluck and I hope he proves to everyone that he has a reason to live.

Yeh jen,ravens are native to australia and the more there are the less dead animals sit and rot..
Wholesale killing of these birds would only have a negative affect on the environment.
also currawongs magpies and lacie monitors will eat the poisoned eggs,to name a few.
The house crow from india is a pest and can be culled at will.
They are the only member of the raven/crow family recognised as a feral.

Take a look at the feathers around the face and under the throat, and the call is different. You'll never see them in the territory, Waruikazi, as far as I know they are only in victoria and WA.

How do you tell the difference between the native species and the introduced ones?
Very difficult to tell any of the raven/crows apart, there's about 5 or 6 in Oz and all look much the same

no, the magpies, currawongs and lacies do not get OUR eggs, we make sure of it to the extent of watching the enclosure. I didn't know they were natives, but i have always been aware of the difference between ravens and crows, for one thing i cannot stand crows but i like ravens - they seem 'cleaner'

House crows are duller,greyer sort of,,and they are smaller to, but it is very hard to tell the difference for a layman and even more experienced.
There are 6 species of crows and ravens in aussie ,including the 1 pest one, and they all are similar.

Ravens are native? I did not know that. we put out poisoned eggs in our empty nest boxes, the only animals that go for them are crows, which are a massive pest. Tookie is a honey, good luck

Crows and Ravens are pretty much the same thing, they are differnet sub species of the genus Corvus. Most of the big black birds you see in eastern Aust and southern WA are Ravens (Corvus coronoides),

Filthy things... Rats with wings... All licey, and hollow-boney and one ovary-y.. Not to mention warm cloaca-y... Yuck. Death to them all!

I like Ravens. I saw one hit a Cormorant like a missle, mid air, they both fell out of the sky and onto the beach, then the Raven dragged to much larger and heavier Cormorant (that now had a broken wing) into the scrub. It was amazing to watch, the Raven was at some speed when it made cotact with the shag. A truely ballsy bird!

...and in regards to the care of a young raven, I'm sure your bird lady would be the best person to speak to.

Common sense, but I would imagine a heat mat overnight is a good idea although it appears to have plumage and being summer it should be fine.

For food, I'd guess some egg and biscuit mix (can you use that on insectivores, I've only ever raised parrots & pigeons?) and some crix mashed in for protein, maybe try offering it some cat biscuits and meat?

If you've got nothing on hand in the meantime maybe some wheat bix, sugar and egg all mashed up would be an idea.

He's very cute and I'm very jealous, I always wanted a raven or a magpie :)

im a WIRES member and am looking after a raven at the moment. you can buy some supliment from pets shops called wombaroo insectivore. just mix this with beef mince, and some sort of calcium supliment(even crushed cuttlefish or egg shells will do).

Looks like a good pet IMO

Very smart birds, definately brighter than alot of ppl i have come across. Smart enough to use tools etc. Although i find the AAAARRKKKKK!!!!!!!! noise a little irritating how cool is that predator noise they make :lol:

I think the ravens attack only sick lambs and they also eat the placentas at birthing tim.
Im quite sure a healthy lamb is well protected by its mother and ,if they actually kill a lamb, (wivestales) they are probably doing it a favour.
In the bush they perform a service by eating carrion, and taking sick and injured animals out as well.
In captivity they are like a dog and need to be treated and trained differently to parrots and raptors because they are so much more intelligent.
Kill your ferals but leave the native ravens alone.
No animal lover would lay poisoned eggs out for our native animals to eat.
Grr
Baz

I know that and agree Baz, and I know how smart they are. They only did it to the lambs that the foxes had thill killed, but I can never get that picture out of my head of seeing them pecking the lambs eyes out while they were still alive! So, i'm just having a rant :) It was a horrible sight :( too many killed just for the thrill!

Raxor, he is very cute and i will try him on the egg mix. I have been using all sorts of offals and meats, breads vegies fruits.
He devours all of it.
We started feeding it with bits of meat dipped in water, for hydration mostly,on the tweezers.
Now, a week later , the bird is feeding well out of a bowl and scarfing up our home made dogfood.
He lives in an open..ish box in a warm room and watches us and everything with intent.
It has also become quite tame a lot quicker than i expected.
I have to more insectavore mix tomorrow..not cheap either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back