Red barreds, tawnies and crested dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beknluke

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend some good reading about these guys?
i am trying to find as much info as possible
ta

lol
Shoosh you :lol:
Well, looks as though not many people keep these since I haven't gotten ANY info on these animals from 2 different websites :?
Oh well, maybe if they breed I'll have more customers :lol: j/k lol
Seriously - does anyone have good write ups in books? I have an old Cogger book (1986 edition) and It barely has anything useful on these guys. It has their general locality so tonight I will be looking up the weather patterns of those areas to try and get similar temps. But other than that - NOTHING. Not even their SVL. I'm stumped.

Hi Bek,
I only have limited knowledge, but it seems you are having trouble finding any info so here goes.
I kept penninsula rock dragons for a while and I imagine all these small dragons would have similar requirements. (incl painted dragons)
Very active and skittish, the males are the pretty ones, my female laid 2 eggs at a very young age, these lizards should breed easily but have a fairly short life span.
The red barred have a wierd defence/mating splay, and can be awesome blue body with reds and yellows. Tawnys can very a lot in colour form too.
svl will be around 3-5cm.
Geckodan had most of these dragons 6-7 years ago Im not sure if he still breeds them or not. (he had the most awesome red military sand dragons).
as I said very limited knowledge and probably stating the obvious on a few points, but hope it helps.
Cheers
Adam

if youve got cresteds then they come from me, as i am the ONLY supplier of these lizards, (im sure there are others who keep them, but they dont supply the pet trade) they lay between 3-8 eggs, they take around 50-65 days to hatch, depending on the temp you incubate at. they need to be kept very warm at the hot end around 45 c, they dont like mealworms and i wont feed them mealworms as they have no nutrional value, crickets, woodies, gents, moths and earthworms. they can jump at least two feet in length, males and females are very similiar in pattern and COLOUR, the males are distinguished by a more pronunced crest, do not be fooled into thinking only males have a black chest, females do also, femaoral and preanal pores are a good guide to go by, males have extremely long pores, females have pores, but only just visible, you will need to keep them warm until july, then no heating for july and august just uv, you most likely wont see them come out at all, at the start of september start warming them up, males need to be kept seperate, you can have multiple females to a male, interestingly i have never had any juveniles fight or bite of tails toes etc. Keep an eye out on roy pails website for cresteds available.
cheers Matt

I keep crested dragons, I got mine from Rick Walker. They can be very finicky feeders at times, though mine do like meal worms, and also eat ants, crickets and moths, but their favorite food is woodies that have just shed and are still white.

yes i no Rick, he doesnt supply shops but sells private.
cheers Matt

arent they one of the fastest dragons on the planet? running bipedal. The bicycle lizard is their other common name i think.

bek, the tawnies you sold me bred, i now have 7 babies and 1 egg waiting to hatch, pm me if you wanna know more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back