Red Devil cichlids sex deterimination

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helikaon

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that could tell me what sex my red devil is, i the guys at the aquarium sold it to me as female, but i am beginning to think it is a male. Plus i just bought a male for her and although i know they can get rough with the girls they went at it pretty full on. notice the fin and scale damage.

DSCF9177.jpg

DSCF9180.jpg

DSCF9181.jpg

thanks for your time

cheers
gary

Judging by the organ coming out it looks like a male.

males generally have a smaller pointed organ while females have a thicker more rounded one, for pushing out eggs.

Here's a pic that will also help vent him properly and compare.

vents.jpg

The one on the left is the female. She has one larger spot while the male has two small spots.

Hope that helps.

In my humble opinion I would say it is a female, I thought that if the egg tube points backwards its female, the males 'tube' generally points straight down but I've been out of breeding cichlids for many many years so take it with a grain of salt

In my humble opinion I would say it is a female, it has a large vent and the egg tube turns backwards the males 'tube' generally points straight down but without having a known male to compare it to its hard

I agree, i used to breed alot of cichlid species also the devils and i have to say the colour, shape, hump and the gland all indicate female.
looks like it may be holding too or just bloated...this could be the reason the gland is sticking out.

hope this helps

Yeah the only thing that confuses me is that the males vent and gland looks the same. i also have never noticed her lay eggs but i must admit it could definitely escape my notice. She doesnt always have that bloated look, i assumed its because we gave her a huge feed this morning. Either way do you know how long it will take for them to settle down if it is a female?

Yeah the only thing that confuses me is that the males vent and gland looks the same. i also have never noticed her lay eggs but i must admit it could definitely escape my notice. She doesnt always have that bloated look, i assumed its because we gave her a huge feed this morning. Either way do you know how long it will take for them to settle down if it is a female?

You'll usually see them pair within a couple week. They will pick a spot usually I the corner of the tank or next to an ornament, she will push aside the gravel to make a ditch to lay in, this will be their nest. You need to make sure the substrate is fine enough for them to do it(about 3-5mm) they will stay close to this nesting area constantly circling each other. Warding off any stray fish .
Should only be a week or so after this. They don't tend to eat their young so you'll see them surrounding the parents if you've missed the eggs.

Extended finnage would suggest male, and it looks like the beginning of a neuchal hump. 80% male. What pet store did you go to?

Last edited:
the hump isnt much compared to the male though, and it is older then the new male i have. i got it as an adult and it hasnt grown much since then about 2 yrs.

DSCF9182.jpg

DSCF9184.jpg

The big boy will be the dominant one, so the other one will have less developed hump and colouring.

literally introduced them yesterday for 30 mins, before that i only had the female looking one kept alone

SHe has always been a cranky cow, i guess she might just be a bugger of a female. might try them with a barrier for a little while see what they do

Dividing our tank was the only way we could get ours to breed. I am still quite certain that fish is a female, the last pic with them both makes me at least 99% sure.....our females 'hump' is about the same size, IF i can be bothered going near them today i will take a pic for you to compare for yourself.......as i said above, i dont like them, i dont even like to look at them, they are retarded!

I would let you have our's if hubby wouldnt kill me! :lol:

hi bel, did they settle once the barrier had been in their a while. they were mouth locking and just circling eachother biting fins. nasty creatures.

We havent removed the barrier, they tear each other to shreds whenever we try, our male has killed 2 other females in the 4yrs we have had him, as i siad, STUPID fish!! :p This time around he hasnt been given the chance to hurt her & we have just got our 5th batch of babies from them.

How does he fertilise the eggs with the bairrier though

To be honest, i havent watched them, i keep missing it, but she lays the eggs on a large rock at the divider & they hatch & we have swimmers!

I just thought i should add, we use egg crate as the barrier, the large holes in the crate obviously allow his 'release' to reach the eggs. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back