Red nosed rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but youve had a case of myco go through your coloney.They will excreet red mucas from their noses first then slowley become thinner and eventually die.As you said not haveing food or water for a week will kill most rodents anyway but i believe the death sentence was already set before you even went away.It takes along time to rid the myco virus from a coloney of rodents mice dont seem to be as suseptable(sp) as rats are but Id bet my left arm that myco was the main cause of your rats problems.If they werent fed for a week (hope i read your post right) then they will eat each other self preservation is their main concern even if it means eating their own young.Im not trying to contradict anyone else but ive seen it so oftern over the last 10 years especially your symptons are almost text book.I dont know what it is but its only in the last 10 years that ive seen it occur so oftern.10 years previous it was almost un heard of. I posted a link to a site explaining myco but cant repost it as ive change computers and dont have the link on this one as yet but if you look back through some old posts youll find it, type myco into the search bar and it should come up.
Good luck and sorry to hear you also have incompetant people looking after your animals while your away, my last trip cost me a couple of my best breeders probably around $200 worth of rats, next time i have to go away im employing someone to come and look after them, maybe paying someone to baby sit them will save me in the long run.one can only try.....
Odie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back