regurgitating beardie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
As you guys now know, i picked up my beardies on thursday night. Well on friday and saturday, both of them have been throwing up full crickets, which they obviously ate the day before because i haven't fed them crickets... Is this a case of them eating too much or being in a new enclosure, or something else??? Thay have eaten a few slaters, grasshoppers and chopped lettuce - but has thrown all of that back up too. Still sitting under the lights and digging around every now and then, but are really sluggish...

I'm not positive it's the same thing with yours but when mine had worms it was throwing up everything it ate. Maybe a Vet Visit in order.

Well everything was fine at my mates place, but as soon as they got to my enclosure they got sick. He said that they had never done this before either... I guess if things don't improve, that will be the go.

Good luck - never had this issue myself??
But yeah, I agree w/ Bouncer, get them to the vet. I hope it works out well for you. And maybe try them on alphalfa instead of the lettuce: has much more nutritional value for the lil guys.
Bex :)

Its so strange as none of my mates beardies have gotten ill... only the two he gave me have been sick!

It could be many things.....but because both are sick it may be something to do with the enclosure they are being kept in. Wrong temps?...what substrate are you using? It could be stress..it could even be worms...I'd get them to vet tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, ill take them to the vet tomorrow

I'd look at the new set up to make sure it hasn't anything that is disagreeing with them
Have you left them alone to get settled?
To see if it's worms check the faeces for movement (yuk). They eat alot when they've got worms and always seem hungry.
Poor little things.

I left them alone all weekend... Just to let them settle. I fed them some crickets this morning and they scoffed them down quickly. I've got them outside for a littl while to get some natural light into them.

Good thinking. Natural light is a great idea.
They can handle being left alone for a full week. It gives them a better chance to acclimatise and get their territory set, which keeps them happy.
Have they stopped throwing up now?

Don't worry, they're pretty hardy little things.

Yeah, there has been no more upchucking for about 15 hours now.. They are both enjoying the sunshine too. I'll see how they go today, but if the continue to deteriorate, its off to the vets!

Pugsly the two main reasons why a beardie will regurgitate is if it has eaten too much or if it has internal parasites, usually roundworms. If the beardies can be encouraged to open their mouths wide you may be able to see some worms down the throat. If so, no amount of sunlight will save them. Get them to a vet ASAP. Round worms are to be taken seriously, they can do extensive damage to the gut.

thanks serpent tongue, they have been ok since saturday, just cruising round in the enclosure, and sunbaking! i think it may have been a case of eating too much as seriously one of them threw up about 25 crickets at least! the other guy has been fine he only chicked a grasshopper up but has been highly active since his arrival. they are eating fine now, i think it may just have been a case of letting them get settled.

If any more upchuckin occurs i will book an appoitment, but they seem great now.

thanks for all the advice guys

not sure will find out when i get home, but they seem to stay under it most the day then dig around and sleep under the rock at night.

ok the basking spot is about 40 degrees but that is directly under the 60 w lamp about 10 cm i think, might be warmer my thermom only went to that.. is it too hot? the beardies spend most the day there so i guess its not that. well they have eaten a couple of times no and no more upchuckin so guess they are ok??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back