Reptile Information & Research Websites

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilbarensis

Reaction score
Hey,
In my search for information about Australia's array of fauna and flora (particularly reptiles) I have come across a number of interesting, informative and well presented websites that surprisingly don't show up much on this forum. These are a few websites which have helped me a lot when it comes to studying a species, not only about housing, feeding and breeding in captivity but also about their behaviour and habitats in the wild. One thing I think a lot of people over look is studying a species and its behaviour in the wild, by knowing how a creatures behaves in the wild we can create a better understanding of how to properly care for it in captivity. Everything from diet to surrounding vegetation can be important and although it may not be crucial to the animals survival in captivity, small things such as this can provide extra stimulation, a better captive environment and quite possibly a much happier reptile.

These are three sites which I have come across, that I believe to be helpful and sites that more people in this community should know about.

Atlas of Living Australia - Atlas of Living Australia
This is an online constantly updating Atlas that has an array of information of Australia's thousands of species of fauna and flora. Although there is little-no information on the behaviour of reptiles on this site it has information on sightings, locations a species have been found at and the environments they have been found in. One of the most important things about studying a species in my opinion is knowing their range and habitat which can then provide you with information to create a much more natural and stimulating setup for your species.

Mampam Conservation - Mampam Conservation - Home
An extremely informative and interesting site when it comes to Varanid biology with information on every species of Varanid, although the amount of information depends on how well a species is documented. This site provides information of monitors in the wild as well as in captivity. An excellent read and a must read for anyone how likes or keeps Varanids.

Australia Reptile Online Database - AROD > Home | AROD.com.au
Probably the most well known of these sites, AROD has extensive information of every species of reptile that lives in Australia. Although there is little-no information on individual species it is a valuable site which is easy to navigate and has great images. Definitely a good field guide but not as good when it comes to a species behaviour and requirements.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will definitely add more sites to this list as I come across them, and if people know any good sites feel free to post them. I just feel as though there isn't a topic with a good list of sites with reliable information.

Cheers, Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back