Reptile rack advise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
technically this is correct. However most work places around Australia have banned plugging power boards into power boards. And for good reason. The problem in this instance isn't overloading the circuit. But rather the combined effect of having so manny poor joints in the same circuit. The fire risk becomes far greater because of this. I strongly advise to NEVER plug a power board into another power board.
Do the other electricians agree with this?
Yes I agree . Do you know the rules about wiring mutiple power points into a cupboard then plugged into a power point ?

Yes I agree . Do you know the rules about wiring mutiple power points into a cupboard then plugged into a power point ?
I'm not upto scratch on domestic regs. But the way I see it he is creating a few outlets, that anything can be plugged into. It would seem this is closer to fixed wiring than an appliance. I'd find it hard to believe it is legal and I doubt an electrician would do such a thing. I know I wouldn't. . The only method the op should consider, is a single powerboard plugged into the wall to supply his rack.
There is probably no need to reinvent the wheel. And the methods people currently use of a 9m heat cord, that is used to heat several shelves, is both cost efficient and safer than having several heating devices plugged in for each shelf.
Perhaps some more thought into the design is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a power board plugging into a powerboard ,plugging into a power board ......... all around the ceiling perimeter of my snake rooms. That gives three outlets every 1.2 meters so there is always a convenient power outlet. I only run 13 watt matts so even 100 matts isn't going to overload the circuit.

The good news of this method is that it works.
The bad news of this method is that when/if it stops working it will most likely result in a fire.

There are quite a few factors to consider that will derate the circuit, perhaps to a level where it would be considered overloaded, despite being well under 10amps. Heat and poor connections would be some of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
technically this is correct. However most work places around Australia have banned plugging power boards into power boards. And for good reason. The problem in this instance isn't overloading the circuit. But rather the combined effect of having so manny poor joints in the same circuit. The fire risk becomes far greater because of this. I strongly advise to NEVER plug a power board into another power board.
Do the other electricians agree with this?
Firstly, I am not a sparky so dont take my advice. I dont disgree with your recommendation for a public workplace which is a different situation to a private snake room . However the mechanical hardware is the same in the case of a power point and three pin plug or a power board and a three pin plug. If you repeat a process which has a chance of being wrong the chance of getting it wrong increases, so the more power boards or power points the more chance of poor connetions , particularly if you connect and reconnect which may wear out the spring metal contacts in the female plug. Maybe at each connection you could get voltage drop but does that matter on low wattage equipment? Either a three pin plug and point is a safe connection or it isn't? I assume because they are publically sold they are effective, and go through some sort of audited testing regime, but am quite happy to stand corrected.

Firstly, I am not a sparky so dont take my advice. I dont disgree with your recommendation for a public workplace which is a different situation to a private snake room . However the mechanical hardware is the same in the case of a power point and three pin plug or a power board and a three pin plug. If you repeat a process which has a chance of being wrong the chance of getting it wrong increases, so the more power boards or power points the more chance of poor connetions , particularly if you connect and reconnect which may wear out the spring metal contacts in the female plug. Maybe at each connection you could get voltage drop but does that matter on low wattage equipment? Either a three pin plug and point is a safe connection or it isn't? I assume because they are publically sold they are effective, and go through some sort of audited testing regime, but am quite happy to stand corrected.

I disagree.

Say that the joint where the power board plugs into the power board is bad. It creates a hot spot... Not so bad if it was just a 13w mat plugged into it. But if that power board is loaded up or if that power board also has some bad joints or faulty equipment attached then the current being drawn through that first bad joint is increased and it is a lot hotter than it would be if it was being used as intended for a single appliance to be plugged into that outlet on the power board.
In other words the joins become compiled where as one power board per wall outlet the joins are not adding up to create a problem.

I disagree.

Say that the joint where the power board plugs into the power board is bad. It creates a hot spot... Not so bad if it was just a 13w mat plugged into it. But if that power board is loaded up or if that power board also has some bad joints or faulty equipment attached then the current being drawn through that first bad joint is increased and it is a lot hotter than it would be if it was being used as intended for a single appliance to be plugged into that outlet on the power board.
In other words the joins become compiled where as one power board per wall outlet the joins are not adding up to create a problem.
Like i said, I stand corrected and after giving a rant in an earleir thread about those who dont know keeping their opinions to themselves then i just might take my own advice.

Like i said, I stand corrected and after giving a rant in an earleir thread about those who dont know keeping their opinions to themselves then i just might take my own advice.
It's an interesting topic. And one that many people can learn from. I think the biggest problem with electricity is that you can have something working fine for years. Then oneday from a build up of carbon or heat etc it can just go bad. I've seen some pretty crazy things as an electrician. Everything from a nail in someone's mains (to steal electricity) to a completely melted fan switch. And I don't even work on houses for a job :)
There is a very high chance that you will never have a problem with plugging power boards into powerboards. But there is definitely a chance it could go bad as well. I've had a powerboard catch on fire on a fish tank when I was a teenager. Luckily I was home and smelt the smoke. The PVC burning stank... It was just the result if a faulty powerboard. It's impossible to get around using powerboards. I still use them. But keep an eye on them. I don't trust them at all!

It's an interesting topic. And one that many people can learn from. I think the biggest problem with electricity is that you can have something working fine for years. Then oneday from a build up of carbon or heat etc it can just go bad. I've seen some pretty crazy things as an electrician. Everything from a nail in someone's mains (to steal electricity) to a completely melted fan switch. And I don't even work on houses for a job :)
There is a very high chance that you will never have a problem with plugging power boards into powerboards. But there is definitely a chance it could go bad as well. I've had a powerboard catch on fire on a fish tank when I was a teenager. Luckily I was home and smelt the smoke. The PVC burning stank... It was just the result if a faulty powerboard. It's impossible to get around using powerboards. I still use them. But keep an eye on them. I don't trust them at all!
I look at the odds mate. The odds are probably 1% that things will go wrong, this does not seem very high and in all honesty it isn't. But let's took at what can happen in that one percent , you get a bad joint and it heats up and catches fire and burns your collection of reptiles and half your house burn down. The cost of your insurance excess is maybe $350 or more. That is a lot more expensive than paying $100 for a wiring job.

I look at the odds mate. The odds are probably 1% that things will go wrong, this does not seem very high and in all honesty it isn't. But let's took at what can happen in that one percent , you get a bad joint and it heats up and catches fire and burns your collection of reptiles and half your house burn down. The cost of your insurance excess is maybe $350 or more. That is a lot more expensive than paying $100 for a wiring job.
Yeah that's how I see it too. I guess we have the fortunate perspective in our trades of seeing what electricity is capable of when things go bad.

haha i'm an auto elec, i don't have to deal with your crazy high voltages!! It all comes down to how any work site does a risk score analysis on a job as part of their JSEA's etc. Just because the "likelihood" is low, the "impact" or damage would be major or even catastrophic, which would make the use of daisy chaining powerboards banned.

I haven't really check out the heat cords you've been talking about so maybe ill think about getting those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back