Reptiles of Vietnam/Thailand

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja_vs_python

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a holiday in Vietnam and Thailand. Here's a bunch of herps i managed to get photos of. Snakes are 1. Burmese Python (Python molurus), 2. Red Necked Keelback (Rhabdophis subminatus), 3. Radiated rat snake (Elaphe radiata). Banded Kukri Snake (Oligodon spp.)
1_SAM_02069.jpg

1_SAM_0716.JPG

My guide to the snakes of vietnam quotes this snake as 'HARMLESS'; with no further notes. But it should be noted that after a number of serious bites, the toxicity of these snakes has recently been reconsidered: they are now known to be fairly dangerous.

1_SAM_0713.JPG

1_SAM_0661.JPG
1_SAM_0659.JPG
1_SAM_1250.JPG

These are just the snakes I found, I have more pictures of random lizards, frogs and turtles but will post them later.

Who else has been? anyone else got pics from this region? (South-East Asia)

Last edited:
Hi Ninja,

Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting all your pics, that's a cool Rhabdophis though, I was lucky enough to work with tigrinus (which have killed a few people) in the past. I've spent quite a bit of time in Southeast Asia, having worked in Singapore for a couple of years. The biodiversity in the region is overwhelming. I have about 1500 slides of reptiles from the area....all I need now is a slide scanner! I managed to find a few old scans (poor quality) and some old digital shots (even poorer, taken with a first generation Sony Cybershot!) in my photobucket account though so I thought I'd post them up (there are some bad crops in amongst these but hey....this was a long time ago!). One day I will get a good quality slide scanner, or get a bunch of slides professionally scanned, but for now this will have to do as a taster! These were taken in Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand or Indonesia (wild animals, but some are posed rather poorly!):

Ahaetulla prasina

prasina.jpg

Trimeresurus popeiorum

popeiorum.jpg

Cyrtodactylus philippinicus

philippinicus.jpg

Varanus olivaceus

butaan1.jpg

Chrysopelea paradisi

paradisi.jpg

Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus

purpureomaculatus.jpg

Naja kaouthia

kaouthia1.jpg

Varanus bengalensis nebulosus

nebulosus2.jpg

Python reticulatus

retic1.jpg

"calico phase"

caltic2.jpg

Ophiophagus hannah

king1.jpg

Varanus salvator
(x2)

salvator2.jpg

salvator1.jpg

ssp. marmoratus

salmarmoratus1.jpg

Trimeresurus albolabris

albolabris.jpg

maybe your pics are too big, keep trying as I would love to see them. I have been to Bali, Northern and southern Thailand and off to Borneo soon... :)

I hope that helps, the photography isnt fantastic, only a cheap digital camera i picked up while i was there, but you get the point.
My girlfriend also took some action shots of me 'getting to know' ;) some of the animals, namely the radiated rat snake and red necked keelback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back