Request for frog ID....if possible please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Last night we had a lovely unexpected visitor, a little frog who sat like a statue looking up into my patio light, no doubt waiting for food. I live in sw WA and know almost nothing about frogs. He was about 6 - 6 cm long, quite slim, with a grey/dull green body and a lumpy back and green dots along his back. Just wondering what species he would be. I took a photo of him, but don't know how to post pics here.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. :D Annie

Sounds like a Western Green Tree Frog (Motor Bike Frog).

Ok here's the pic (merged both shots into one and cropped, hope you don't mind Annie), but I still think it's an L moorei, cute lil bugger :D

Attachments

• frog....jpg
    frog....jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 59
Don't mind what you do with the pics Thals :) actually you've made the little guy look even cuter....if that's possible. :) Aren't you clever to be able to do that. :) We have a green railing around our patio and he was just sitting there staring at the patio light....I didn't dare try to touch him because I don't think that's the right thing to do, but he didn't mind me getting right up close to him. I hope he comes back to visit us again.....actually he's quite possibly been there before, we just haven't noticed.

Lol hey, it's what I do ;) Good on you for having the restraint to quietly observe him without going in for cuddles too, very admirable and am sure the little guy appreciates that a lot! He probably lives somewhere out in your yard, or your neighbours yard seeing as you guys have ponds plus that nearby lake, they'd be lovin it!

Just seen the pictures and it is a Motorbike Frog.
Annie, do you have a pond in your garden you wouldn't need a deep one to get frogs coming and breeding in your garden.
You can also go to your local creek with a net and fish out some tadpoles from there to put in your pond, it will help keep the population of frogs up in your area because predators that are found in and around the creeks wouldn't be able to get to them.

I'm glad I know what the little guy is now....best lookin frog I've ever seen I reckon....only because he's in MY YARD :) We have a round pond that Brian has been going to put fish in for years....but it's one of those projects that's....gunna get done one day !!! :) If you know what I mean. :) I've often threatened to fill the thing in and make it into a garden. :) Brian says he's seen a frog in our watering can too..... :) If I see him out I'll have to be careful our little dog doesn't see him because I think Roger would want to "play" with him and I'd never allow that, but Roger wouldn't have been able to get to him last night, and Rog stays inside watching tele with us at night and mostly he's inside during the day too. He has a little doggie door he goes in and out of when he feels like it. It was a total delight watching this little creature last night, watching his little throat go in and out as he breathed, looking closely at the pumps on his back and just basically examining him closely all over, without touching him. Such an honour to have such a special visitor at my house. :)

I'm fairly certain it's to do with their call sounding similar to a motorbike's revs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back