Retained shed??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lutzd

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about one of my macs.

His skin went cloudy more than a week ago, as per normal before a shed. However, it usually only takes a day or two before he actually sloughs his skin, and I'm a bit worried now, as he still hasn't shed, and he's developed these "blotchy" spots on his skin, where it looks like there's an air gap between his new and old skin.

The usual pre-shed "bluish sheen" has diminished now, and I'm concerned that the "shed fluid" (don't know the technical term! ) has been re-absorbed and he's going to retain his old skin.

He ate ok about 2 weeks before this started.

I was wondering if anyone come across this before, and should I be worried?

I've tried soaking him (which he hated!) and he hasn't been soaking in his water dish, as per some previous occasions pre-shed.

I've uploaded some photos to my gallery, if you'd care to take a look : http://www.aussiepythons.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:-(

lutzd my carpet just went though the same thing but he ended up having a double shed 3 weeks later,all is well with him now

:p Yeah david it appears from those shots that the oils are drying under the shed,you are doing the right thing by soaking but you will need a hell of alot more of it.Also try putting in some glycerine into the water to help make skin softer,id guess that you will be doing alot of its shedding for it,from my experience it will be loads of soaking & sitting there pulling pieces off.

cheers popp :p

Ouch! Thanks guys. That does ease my mind, and I don't mind doing the work for him, as long as he's ok. Thanks again! :)

this has been written by a large sydney breeder "place the snake in a bucket or suitable container of tepid water and to that water add a cup of chamomile tea (1 teabag left to drain in a cup, remove teabag), this will help to moisturise the skin for easier removal, after about 20-45mins maximum the skin should then be moist enough to either assist peel or let the snake do it itself"

That's an interesting one! :) Thanks! If nothing else, the snake should be able to sleep well! :)

David, this is a fairly common problem and easy to fix. I have a variety of sizes of ity bity gabbage bins with the lock on lids. I recommend anyone keeping snakes to buy some different size ones. They are very usefull.

Find a bin of suitable size and add enough tepid water to just cover the snake. Place snake in, lock on lid and place bin into the snakes enclosure. After about 2 hours see if the sheds off. If not, just let it keep soaking for a few more hours. Just keep doing this till it finally sheds. There is no need to add anything to the water. The water by itself is all you need

all great advice,but if you have to assist shedding,which i would doubt,be careful when removing the spectacle.

Well, to continue the saga, I soaked the little blighter for quite a while. I managed to assist with the removal of the bottom 2/3 of the old skin, but can't get the top half. (He seemed to really enjoy the "peeling" process, and even seemed to "lean into it").

However, his eyes are clear again, and the top half doesn't seem to want to come off.

He ate ok tonight.

I was wondering if it would be safe to simply wait until the next shed, or should I peservere?

Thanks in advance for any info. :-(

On a similar note - my Maccie retained only the top of her head when she shed yesterday - I can't soak that as that would require dunking her head underwater :shock:
I have tried sponging it with a wet sponge but she gets a bit stressed. :( I am worried about not getting the spectacles off before the next shed - is it safe to leave it? Or any suggestions?
(Hope you don't mind me sharing your thread for this question David? :)

My male coastal still had a tiny bit of skin left on the very tip of its tail. It wont come off, should i just wait until next shed?

I love the old "warm and wet" pillowcase for these difficult sheds. Just soak an old, (inside out), pillowcase in warm water and put the snake inside for a while. Encourage the animal to move around inside the "bag" and hey presto, it usually gets it all off!

Thanks Afro - I tried the warm, wet pillow case and she is looking beautiful again. :D :D :D

Good one, Afrophil! I'll try that tonight! I'd forgotten that one! ;-)

ether: from what I understand, it's important to get the tail tip. I'd keep at it, if I were you.

Be carefull when using the wet pillow case for shedding. If the bag is too wet you actually bloke the air holes between the material and snakes have died from suffercation. If I do use the pillow cases, I always ring out most of the water so the bag is only damp. This works well.

Thanks Bugguy! Yes, I thought of that, so made sure the pillowcase wasn't over-wet. Also opened it from time to time to make sure he was ok.

Managed to peel off 99% of the skin after this, but there is still old skin on the head. I'm assuming this will come off in the next shed???

Again, thanks for everyone's advice on this! Greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back