Ring Tailed Gecko Sexes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twiggz

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well finally i got round to taking some pics today of the ring tails.
Unfortunately i dont think i'm going to be to happy with my findings......

So what do you think i have folks?

*Twiggz crosses his fingers hoping Rocket misses this thread* ........hmm not likely though.

Last edited:
male, male from side on pictures, but not sure about ringtails

How old are they?? Possibly two malesbut I'd like to see the paracloacal spurs more clearly in the second specimen.

I'm assuming they are both male based on the hemipenal bulges but their is a difference in spur cluster size, and from what i've heard, it can also be a means of sexing.

geckodan: they hatched out on 3/2/07 so they are a bit over 10months. I'll go and take a few more pics now and measure them up size wise.

Specimen 1- (from the first 2 pics above) would be close to 18cm
Specimen 2- (from all other pics) would be close to 17cm

Length is not SVL rather Snout to Tail Tip

HAHAHAHAHAHA Twiggz! I did almost miss the thread until a ceratin someone told me about it today (Cough- MoreliaMatt cough).....

Male/ Male! Funny considering I've got Female/ Female!

im just gonna go run and hide over here!!! lol

the slight difference in size as you say twiggz could be a dominance thing of 1 male over another?

are they housed together?

Yeah thats what i'm putting it down to- dominance.
Yes they are housed together.

Are you serious Rocket bout having 2 females? I could have sworn you had males......if it is the case PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Nope Twiggz! Neither of my animals have any hemipenel bulges. Both animals have a spur cluster of 3 spurs but no bulges. Infact, after looking at your animals, mine are definite females, plus, mine are older.

However, they are quite different. One animal is slightly smaller and of more orangey darker colouration and one animal is a lighter, more pinkey colour. I can try and get some cloacal pics but as you know, I'm a terrible photographer :(

Heres some pics:

Last edited:
Well let me just say that these guys are absolute mongrels to handle.......
Sorry geckodan, but the following is the best i could do. What would you say?
To me, based on that link you attached on the last reply, i would say 2 males. Spurs are very much alike in size and shape. 4 spurs each side on each specimen- the only difference in size i would account for as a result of one dominating more of the feed.

But i'll await your response and opinion before i act on anything.

So here are the pics...

Last edited:
Twiggz,
Thought I'd give you a helping hand and post a side on ventral pic of one of my Ringtails. My 2 are exactly the same in regards to the ventral size and being literally 'ball-less'. Although, my animals have 3 small spurs on either side of the tail base area. My animals are no more than 2 months older than yours Twiggz.

Last edited:
Will see what I can do Twiggz but there isn't much to see..... just flat. Oh and yes, this species is terrible when you try to get close or handle them. Such pain in the necks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back