Rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythonsausage

Reaction score
Would like to know if it's ok to breed rats and euthanasie and freeze them for feed. If so will doing so bring any harm to my snake?

No different than somebody else breeding them and euthanising them for your snake to eat.

Gotta ask. If you breed your own rats how do you "euthanize"???

Don't know if this is the usual way but a friend of a friend uses the gas you use to make soda stream, buys it from big w lol

I use medical grade CO2, I was given a bottle of CO2 that was used in hospitals. They use a lot of it during surgery to inflate areas like stomach cavities or knees when doing keyhole surgery and no it was not from a public hospital so it is not costing everyone and once it runs out I will use a soda stream bass cylinder like other people. I have a range of sized boxes with two holes in them , one in the bottom corner for CO2 entry and one in the opposite top corner for letting the air out as the CO2 is heavier than most of the other air. I have different sized boxes so I can use the smallest box necessary to comfortably fit the rats in, this is so I do not waste CO2 and they are all clear so I can keep an eye on the rats. I run CO2 into the chamber at 5 litres/minute for about 20 seconds to fill the container with CO2 then reduce the flow to 2 lites/minute to maintain the levels and then watch for signs of no life , at this point I leave the CO2 on for a further two minutes to ensure death as per the RSPCA document.

Thanks for sharing this. I really had no idea how it was done. Interesting stuff.

As well as the CO2 option people have suggested, blunt force trauma works very well. It is now my preferred method if I'm only doing a few at a time. It's much quicker and arguably less stressful.

As well as the CO2 option people have suggested, blunt force trauma works very well. It is now my preferred method if I'm only doing a few at a time. It's much quicker and arguably less stressful.
I am under the impression that this was the go with rabbits wasn't sure about rats/ mice. There you go :D

I have multiple tubs also for large quantitys and small quanitys of rats and mice being gased in seperate tubs.I do it differently to andynic07 thou with only one hole in the top of the tub for the plastic tube to enter and push tube all the way to the bottom of the tub. ( supagas food grade co2 bottle used )
The co2 pushes all oxygen/co2 mix to the top of the tub and it filters out via the natural 'gaps' in the lid of tub and I only jet in co2 for about 30 seconds or so which saves on gas and I find it kills them off quickly enough as they fall too sleep before being aphxitated by the co2, thus they die humanely.

Cost me about 65 bucks to set up my gas chambers, 60 of that was the soda stream machine, couple bucks in fish tank air line tube, and a few bucks for plastic tubs and it works a treat. I do the belt them on the head trick every now and then if I only need one or 2 but make a mess they bleed every where

I have the soda stream, but I hate using it unless I have too many to cull and don't feel like doing it by hand. I feel like the clonking is instant, and the gas isn't. I used to feel sick killing them by hand, but I just sucked it up as I felt it was more humane, and now I find it easy and don't give it a second thought.

It is definitely worth breeding your own if you have a number of reptiles, although if you only have one or two, it isn't really worth it unless you enjoy having the rats as well and don't begrudge the time you spend feeding, and cleaning them etc.

Cost me about 65 bucks to set up my gas chambers, 60 of that was the soda stream machine, couple bucks in fish tank air line tube, and a few bucks for plastic tubs and it works a treat. I do the belt them on the head trick every now and then if I only need one or 2 but make a mess they bleed every where

You are hitting them too hard ;)
I only have about 1 out of every 50 that bleed now when I use blunt force trauma to kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back