Sarcasm

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trouble with what people write comes down to how it is interpreted by the person reading it.People tend to see things that aren't really there in the first place depending on their frame of mind at the time.
What are you trying to say about me? (sarcasm)

Trouble with what people write comes down to how it is interpreted by the person reading it.People tend to see things that aren't really there in the first place depending on their frame of mind at the time.
What so you think corns and boa's should be leagal in Australia? That's just crazy!!!!

Sarcasm is very difficult. I have had posts deleted due to my being interpreted incorrectly.

often I don't think about how very sensitive some people are. I am rarely offended even if I take a sarcastic comment the wrong way. Others are and because I'm not, I don't think others care either.

I love sarcasm. It lightens the mood and is particularly nice during APS debates.
Jax is right though. You do learn who the jokers are. One in particular I haven't seen in ages...

Dam. I'm in the wrong place. I was looking for some sarcasm. That's okay I'll keep looking.

Forgive me, but I suspect many of us are not talking about the same thing. Sarcasm has a definite meaning and it most certainly is not light hearted.

A quick check of the on-line dictionary Merriam-Webster), revealed their definition of sarcasm to be…
1: “a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain”
2: “a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual”.

My hard cover Collins English Dictionary defines it as follows:
“Mocking, contemptuous or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult”.

Blue

Forgive me, but I suspect many of us are not talking about the same thing. Sarcasm has a definite meaning and it most certainly is not light hearted.

A quick check of the on-line dictionary Merriam-Webster), revealed their definition of sarcasm to be…
1: “a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain”
2: “a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual”.

Blue
in short = trolling.

Blue
Very correct as in text book correct Blue but the younger generation is increasingly using a dictionary called the Urban Dictionary and this will point out the different uses of sarcasm compared to the traditional and text book correct use. I feel in this day and age it is equally as valid but makes it increasingly hard to convey the meaning unless you really know the person you are conversing with.

URBAN dictionary definition
- A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.
Ex. 1: "I'm okay. Don't mind the gaping wound and the sword protruding from my back. I'm fine. Feel like a million bucks, dammit."

Ex. 2:
"Is your car stuck in the mud?"
"No, no, of course not. I'm only practicing how to spray mud using my tires.

See, this isn't your friend trying to make you look stupid, which if you said one or both of these things, you might be, it was his immune system acting due to the high levels of stupidity being taken into his brain. It automatically responded with sarcasm. So don't take it personaly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue

It's a younger generation thing Mike. The youth of today don't use sarcasm in the traditional way as stated above. More like John Cleese's sarcastic character in Faulty Towers, or perhaps Chandler in Friends, it's just for a laugh. :) Trust the young folk to take something and turn it upside down. :)

We live in Australia where it is ok to call a complete stranger mate and your friend a pr@$k whilst laughing. The actual saying uses the c word but I do not like the word and refuse to use it.

They are using the same vehicles of satire and ironic language to acheive a different end. It lacks the sting in the tail of true sarcasm. That change in usage has evidently come about through an acceptance of this as being more a form of wit, rather than the traditional cutting or barbed comment.

Sarcasm of either form, used in irelatively short written posts, is always going to be open to literal interpretation. To ensure the intended meaning gets across you would need to put it into a context. And no doubt doing that would detract considerably from the intended humour (or otherwise). As pointed out, you can only be assured that your mates will get it as they will be familiar with your sense of humour.

Blue

Very true , when you need to explain the joke to someone it just doesn't have the same comedic impact.

And the "naked truth's" last post was an example of sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back