Save or euthanise??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Shane will do it for free Baz be something different for him to work with. See no reason why it cant be realeased back to the wild once it recovers.

cheers pete

We will go see the vet tomorrow but i know what he will say already..there seems to be about 16 scales worth of salvagable flesh under the vent before the necrotic stuff and i would happily care for it untill it recovers, if it recovers..
Thanks baxtor but im hoping the vet will do it for free as it is wildlife.

That seems like enough regardless of sex (although I'm not sure what male copperheads probe to).

Sound like you've made you mind up and seems to be one of those things where if you don't do it, you will always wonder what the outcome would have been. IMO worth dropping the $100 or $200 just for personal satisfaction.

Snake man depends on wether its a male /female .female should be ok to chop tail off.male you may have to look a little harder to make sure it wont give him problems ....i had a carpet caught with a stump that was so close to the cloaca i measured it was only 2 cm below the cloaca.she was doing really well i had to get her out of a guinea pig cage and held her for 4 days she poo'd no worries and could move without any problem and the stump was almost heal'd beautifuly .in this buggers case if you are going to stump make sure you have enuff skin to pull over this is why it would be better if it was a female anyway good luck do what you have to do.....RBB

Hey Baz, I had a python with a simalar tail problem. It did come off with shedding, but I would cut off the dead stuff now to prevent further necrosis, as dragging the dead bit around, it gets caught a bit on newspaper and stuff, and can cause more stress on the non dead bits, if that makes any sense? As soon as I cut the dead bit off, it stopped pregressing up the tail. Good luck mate :)

Well I took the snake to see Shane at Karingal and gave it a shot of fortrum, and i bought a few shots home,
(straight in the freezer)
as it will need a course of about 10, 1 every 3 days..
He was nice enough to give me enough to sink a ship and a heap of panacure,, which i was running low on anyway.
The tail should fall off as mentioned by Rob and others, but i can cut the dead stuff of if it causes a propblem.
I am not holding my breath on a recovery as the catbite is generally very damaging ..

tguy.jpg

by the looks of it he probably will pull through. just little bit of anti-biotics and care and he/she should be all good soon

For those interested the snake died last night.
The wounds caused by the cat had damaged internal organs.
You can see in this pic that the cat had munched it quite well.
I didnt hold a lot of hope for this one but ya win a few and ya lose a few..

khgig.jpg

Shane didnt charge me and the snake was dead when i woke up yesterday morning.
Shane was under the same impression as me in that he didnt fancy its chances but was worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back