Scaly foot?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d-dutz

Reaction score
Hey guys not sure what this is possibly a hooded scaly foot because it has very small ear holes possibly?
ve4y9e9u.jpg

nuqa5uje.jpg

It a delma. Possibly tincta. I havent had first hand experience with borea or any of the other similar NT species. An examination of the head and preanal scales would confirm the species. My bet would be on tincta however.

A precise location, even region, would help. Also, the nature of the habitat occupied can be useful in determining the species.

Scalyfoot are considerably stouter than Delma species. Where Scalyfoot have matt textured scales that are often slightly keeled, Delma are smooth and shiny. The dark head patches on a Scalyfoot number one or two as a rule whereas Delma species with head patches consist of three or four separated by distinctly lighter bands of colour. I hope that helps for the future.

The animal shown has 2 supranasals, sufficient to identify it as D. tincta and distinguish it from D. borea and D. desmosa, the two other candidates which have similar head banding, at least when they are young.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back