scarfing macs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

is scarfing good or bad

• its fine i have no problem with it

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • i dont like it one bit

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • wat is scarfing ?????

Votes: 16 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorps

hey all
i jsut purchased 2 hatchling spotteds and i have never scarfed or power fed before but after reading about the method it doesnt seem like that bad of a thing to try on them can i have every ones oppions is it an ok idea or completly stupid

cheers

A breeder on the coast, she feeds her snakes by the snakes metabolismso once they pass the food, she waits a day or two then feeds them again... is that what it is?

giving the snake food every three or four days reguardless of motabalism

was't it ten percent of their body weight every 7 days? I'd do it if I had the time, weighing them and all. I just feed my stuff weekly and acordingly.

10% every 7 days??? Do you want the snake to grow?

30% of bodyweight or til refusal every 5 days. Providing temps are sufficient (quite warm) they should grow very fast.

-H

Its always the way. People take something from nature and think their way is better. Snakes have fed the same way for hundreds of years.By feeding that much (overfeeding) you are increasing their metabolism which is not good. Humans with the wrong metabolism have to take medication. What are you going to give to your snake. Not sure they have metabolism meds for reptiles.

10% every 7 days??? Do you want the snake to grow?

30% of bodyweight or til refusal every 5 days. Providing temps are sufficient (quite warm) they should grow very fast.

-H

That just sounds crazy!!!!! though pretty much silmilar thing I do with rum and coke at the pub, keep drinking them till they refuse to sell me any more......

Its always the way. People take something from nature and think their way is better. Snakes have fed the same way for hundreds of years.By feeding that much (overfeeding) you are increasing their metabolism which is not good. Humans with the wrong metabolism have to take medication. What are you going to give to your snake. Not sure they have metabolism meds for reptiles.

Are you sure reptiles eating til refusal doesn't happen in wild populations? What happens to bearded dragons that hatch in the middle of a locust plague? Or water pythons that grow up in the middle of a Rattus villiosisimus plague? I'm not sure if they say "oh no, just one rat for me, i'm watching my metabolism".

That just sounds crazy!!!!! though pretty much silmilar thing I do with rum and coke at the pub, keep drinking them till they refuse to sell me any more......

Yeah, two kids is proof enough to me that the method is sound.

-H

Yeah but that plaugue doesn't last for all its life does it. It might last a couple of weeks. Then they go back to normal eating and a normal metabolism. Doesn't matter what you say overfeeding any animal is not good. If your main purpose is to get the snakes to breeding age quicker so you can make money quicker that in itself should answer everyones question about whether it is good or not.
Snakes before money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure reptiles eating til refusal doesn't happen in wild populations? What happens to bearded dragons that hatch in the middle of a locust plague? Or water pythons that grow up in the middle of a Rattus villiosisimus plague? I'm not sure if they say "oh no, just one rat for me, i'm watching my metabolism".

I saw on the crocodile hunter once a heap of carpet pythons in a mouse plague that had had their fill.

The only way i can see a snake being constantly over fed ,in the wild, would be say a children's python that lives at the mouth of a bat cave.

The only way i can see a snake being constantly over fed ,in the wild, would be say a children's python that lives at the mouth of a bat cave.

Thats a fair point Norris, although atleast locally the bats use the caves seasonally, at which time
many species take full advantage. With some snakes scoring 5,6,7 bats coiled at a time! :)
Magic stuff!

I'm not sure if they say "oh no, just one rat for me, i'm watching my metabolism".
-H

Some metro-pythons out there eh!

Has there actually been any studies done which prove that power feeding has done any harm, or is it all speculation?

Until it's known to cause harm, I personally don't see any problem with it.

Check the lifespan of all those huge retics etc which they grow in zoos in the USA. They are power fed normally (hence their size).

Check the lifespan of all those huge retics etc which they grow in zoos in the USA. They are power fed normally (hence their size).

I'm assuming they're long-lived? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back