Sealing internal laminated surfaces of enclosure to prevent moisture from substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1979

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Well thank you to everyone for the advice to date - my DIY build is progressing nicely and i have now got all of the lighting, heating, UV etc... what i'm wondering now is, should i seal the internal surfaces of the enclosure where the substrate will come in contact with the laminated timber? Also, should i run a bead of silicon or similar up the edge of the internal timber joins to prevent moisture getting in to the end of the MDF? If i were to seal and run a bead of silicon or similar along the joins what should i use? It's for a blue tongue enclosure

Cheers

Last edited:
When moisture enters a surface (especially fibrous like wood/wood derived materials) it makes the material swell. So sealing all surfaces which will come in contact with moisture should be sealed. All sealants that are specified to repell water will do, aquatic silicone is designed to not contaminate the water - if this is what you want, then use this. If that is not your concern, pretty much all silicones will do.

You should only need a bead of silicon in the joints if it is all ready laminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back