Sex in the Bush

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zen

There's an excellent documentary series Sex in the Bush starting tonight at 8pm on ABC, about Australian wildlife.

Prof Rick Shine is one of the people involved, so it must be good!

It's a must see in my opinion.

enjoy

zen

No worries!

I'm sure that if Rick's on board, it'll be well worth the watch,
& you can be sure it'll include herps.

Don't miss it!

Trader taped it for me because I was out. I just finished watching it.

It is a really good program. The herp examples were nicely integrated. The stumpy's humping was cute but the pick was that agamid being setup up by the computer generated one to decode their signalling. It looks like there will be a few episodes in the series so I guess I know what I will be watching on cup day ;-)

ya i enjoyed it myself. especialy the part with the agamids, i found that quite interesting. a slow lathargic push up makes your oposition think your weak!

also the bit on crickets was also interesting, if you want your males to live longer feed em low protien but if you want them to live a shorter life but put alot of effort into their calls(which i suspect means they do alot more mating) then feed em in high protein.

the cuttlefish bit was good, i liked the fact that the weaker smaller cuttlefish male could make itself look like a female and sneak in while the big males were fighting to mate with the actual female!

andrew

SLACkra said:
ya i enjoyed it myself. especialy the part with the agamids, i found that quite interesting. a slow lathargic push up makes your oposition think your weak!

I am pleased to hear that even for lizards pushups require lots of energy. It was cute to see the live one off to attach his cyber mate because he was a woos! It would be fun research to do.

SLACkra said:
also the bit on crickets was also interesting, if you want your males to live longer feed em low protien but if you want them to live a shorter life but put alot of effort into their calls(which i suspect means they do alot more mating) then feed em in high protein.

I suspect that may apply to a few species. If you are big and strong you may invest a lot of energy into atracting the opposite sex. If you are not as strong you may end up looking after yourself better, get more sleep etc. resulting in a longer life.

SLACkra said:
the cuttlefish bit was good, i liked the fact that the weaker smaller cuttlefish male could make itself look like a female and sneak in while the big males were fighting to mate with the actual female!

I liked the way they matched it with the cross dresser in the Sydney bar. Is this a strategy you are considering trying SLACkra?

I was trying to pick Rick Shine's voice from the commentators but really had no idea. His bearded mug was the first they showed in the credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back