Sexing blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishunter

Reaction score
I just got a little blotched blue tongue and im not sure what sex it is. Is it possible for anyone to sex this little guy or is he too young?
15032010206.jpg

14032010199.jpg

Please note that the above is not his enclosure but what i bought him home in....

aits gunna be to young, you will have to know what ya looking for to by pulling back the anal scale and checking for a hemipene but will need to be a yearling for that to happen. cheers Dayle

It's pretty much impossible to tell what sex a bluey is until it breeds. Though, some people say that females are generally rounder with smaller heads and males have bigger heads and are pretty much straight bodied.

babies arent the easiest to sex,at a guess perhaps female,but thats just a guess,blotchies are easier to sex as they get bigger,females are longer on average,solider and have smaller heads for there size when compared with a male

I agree with what dtulip10 as its too immature to tell.

When its a year or so old just take it to an experienced vet so you don't injure it doing your own inspection.

I recently had all mine sexed and my vet only charged $10.

Ended up with 1 male and rest females. Lucky boy.

As they mature, it is important to know the sexes so you can understand their behaviours.

the best way of sexing a bluey is to use a sewing needle on a length of cotton,hang the needle over the belly of the bluey,IF the needle swings in a circular motion clock wise its a female,anti clock wise mens its a male ;)

the best way of sexing a bluey is to use a sewing needle on a length of cotton,hang the needle over the belly of the bluey,IF the needle swings in a circular motion clock wise its a female,anti clock wise mens its a male ;)

Thats incredible how did you discover that!:lol:

It's pretty much impossible to tell what sex a bluey is until it breeds. Though, some people say that females are generally rounder with smaller heads and males have bigger heads and are pretty much straight bodied.

Next time im at my mates place i'll take a comparison photo of the two (their siblings) hes seemed to have a much broader head and slender body much like you just described.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back