Shedding help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greebo said:
then remove with tweesers. If you take your time and are gentle, you will not damage the snakes eye.

The problem I would have is getting the snake to sit still while I'm poking at it's eye with tweezers! :?

I have trouble keeping my head still when the doctor sticks that little thing with the light and the eyepiece in my eye. :shock:

Hix

High levels of vitamin A are toxic for some reason. The liver has trouble handling high amounts. I dont know what happens but low level toxicity turns you yellow. Vit A is fat soluble so less likely to dissipate than B and C which are water soluble.
As I said though I dont know the full story as it was in German and I dont really read it well. Maybe it said "der skinnen is kerstuffen in der shed Ich bin vit der man aye". Sort of Qld German maybe.
Peter

The problem I would have is getting the snake to sit still while I'm poking at it's eye with tweezers!

I have trouble keeping my head still when the doctor sticks that little thing with the light and the eyepiece in my eye.

Hix
If you have a large python it is best to do this with the help of another person to help hold the snake.A couple of you have said that you would not feel confident doing this....I was not suggesting any of you newbies try this one your own.It is something that an experienced person should show you how to do the first time. Once you know how to do it,it is a relatively easy process.
But please,please don't attempt this if you have never done it. I apologise for not being more clearer in my original post.

Erm -- Jimmy? You don't do that regularly do you?
I don't like the idea of helping pull the shed skin from the Snake at any time. I watched my Inland Pythong shed 1 nite, it took her a good 20 minutes, but she knew what to do. She rubbed her face on glass, branches, buried it in the s.s - went around rocks and through tight places.
I add water to the bowl in the heater end of the tank for higher humidity.
I've never had to handle eyes not shedding, I'm just a novice lol.

I would go to STP for help - he's Mr. Snake Fixit.
Em

earthmother said:
I don't like the idea of helping pull the shed skin from the Snake at any time. I watched my Inland Pythong shed 1 nite, it took her a good 20 minutes, but she knew what to do.

I'm not saying your concern isn't a viable one. I'm certainly all for nature taking it's course. The trouble we all know the snake isn't kept in it's natural environment as much as we'd like to try, and perhaps the level of humidity wasn't exactly right in this instance (45-51% is about what I keep it). I waited for over 2 hrs to let nature take it's course and it was looking disasterous. The other thing is I didn't want the snake rubbing itself raw trying to remove bits and pieces of old skin. It's my fault that I hadn't misted the enclosure like I normally do, because I wondered if it really made a difference to do so - obviously it does. To further warrant the help thing, I've heard of instances where if the shed hasn't been taken off from around the end parts of the tail, the snake can loose that part due to having the blood flow restricted.

I suppose it's like anything, if you don't have the means to be able to get out you will undoubtabley drown. I believe all snakes are excellent swimmers. I'm not sure about the ability of hatchies though?

Greebo said:
Erm -- Jimmy? You don't do that regularly do you?
Jimmy perhaps you should wait until you actually own a snake before giving advice to people that already do.

....and even then, you should still ask the questions and listen carefully to the answers. Hypothesizing is great as long as you state that it is only that, or can back it up with facts.

moosenoose said:
I've heard of instances where if the shed hasn't been taken off from around the end parts of the tail, the snake can loose that part due to having the blood flow restricted.

This certainly happens with Bluetongue's toes and legs in the wild.

Hix

The faster the snake grows the more often they shed.
So a hatchie can shed 6 weekly,depends how early they start feeding etc a couple of moth after etc.
Depends how much you feed and the older they get.

You have to ask someone that has been breeding snakes before.
I haven?t as yet. Sorry.

Greebo said:
If the eyecaps don't come off, use a cotton bud dipped in water and a bit of detergent. Gently wet the eye and start from the back until the cap starts to lift then remove with tweesers. If you take your time and are gentle, you will not damage the snakes eye.

if you can keep it still enough without holding it by the head and stressing it out?????

You have to hold the head, the snake does stress but eventually they calm down and accept it. Basically the alternative is for the snake to go blind so it has to be done. Young snakes can shed every 4 weeks if well fed. Snakes can lose their tail tips if they repeatedly don't shed their tail skin, however it's not hard to assist that bit off and it's very easy to see when it has happened. I have a coastal with a broken tail who needs the skin removed from the tip every shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back