shhhh...don't tell

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, he is gorgeous. so pretty.!!!
i know this may sound like a silly question, but you dont learn if u dont ask : are corn snakes venemous. ??
thanks.
mel.

ok cool. they are very nice looking. can u actually buy them in australia? i dont know too much about them . they are very pretty.

My American Dream

Beautiful slate boa - that and a ball python *sigh*

Attachments

• GrayCAdwarf boa.jpg
    GrayCAdwarf boa.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 58
Corn snakes aren't pests in America. They're native to the southeastern half of the U.S. They're probably the most commonly kept pet snake, and they're considered a beginner snake by most. A normal (no genetic mutations) like mine is common as dirt and many people consider them "junk snakes". :?

That's why it's nice to come here and hear you guys rave about him :lol: ;)

Here's a recent pic of him.

fallday.jpg

Are they expensive to buy? Like in America i mean?

Some are, some aren't. A normal hatchling would cost about $15 to $20 (US dollars). That's about the same amount of money as a music CD. There are dozens of different genetic morphs though, and they all cost different amounts. Hatchlings of the more popular ones are more like $100.

A decade ago they were a LOT more expensive, or so I hear. The craze with corn snakes has died down a lot. Right now the snake-of-choice for breeders in America is the ball python. And they are holding the prices artificially high. It's really strange. You can get a normal ball python for $30 almost anywhere. But anything other than a normal and you're looking at shelling out thousands of dollars. I've seen some upards of $20,000. Rediculous.

In 1990 I went to a big Reptile Breeders Expo in San Diego. They had normal corns there for as little as $5 - like you said, "junk snakes". About 10,000 people attended over the weekend and everyone received a ticket in the Lucky Door Prize - an albino Burm. You should have seen the mass of people hanging around on Sunday afternoon waiting for that doorprize to be drawn!

At the time an albino Burm was more expensive than most cars!

:p

Hix

OMG corns for $15. Well imknew some people that had some and they paid around the $300 mark over here. God i wish we could keep corsn they are such a beautiful snake i reckon.

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back