*Shields eyes* Oh No! Not again!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vat69

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've been telling people I'm gunna start trying to contribute more, and actually post on the site occassionally. So I figured why not break back into it with another one of my little anecdotes/reviews (Pfft 'review' I wish I had a learned opinion.Lol) about shows I've been to recently. How excited are you guys right now? Lol :lol:

Ok, so, first off we have the Spiderbait gig at the uni bar (Newcastle) on the 9th Sept. I'm not sure that I've ever gone to such a cheap show(excl. free), was only $12!! The place was absolutely packed, and the fact that they broke into the set with some old favourites (Calypso) meant the crowd was pumped right from the get-go. Actually, the amount of alcohol consumption probly had alot to do with that too. :wink:
But yeah, the whole atmosphere was super energetic (you'd expect that from this band though,right?) which meant the mosh was far rougher than I expected it to be. Kram (drummer/singer) pretty much ran the show, but Janet had a pretty good night too. They belted out all the songs with much gusto, the crowd loved it, and everyone left on a high. Great night.
And as much as you might hate their cover of 'Black Betty', man, it was fun to jump around to live. :D

Next night, Fri 10th, straight down from Newy to Sydney for the Muse gig. This was the one I was excited about. Saw these guys at the BDO, but it's never as good as a 'real' show.
'Neon' was the support band. I was surprised at the technical quality actually, which made me even more surprised at how boring they were.<Forgive me if that doesn't make any sense.Lol. Perhaps they just needed to be a little more energetic..or put more feeling into their music. One of the better supports I seen though...shame they couldn't get the audience moving.
As always I was right up the front, but unfortunately not barrier. The crowd was so eager for them to start, me and the friend I went with got seperated a good 10mins before they even came out. There was a group of younger (about 14-16yr olds) infront of me, and one had to be led out by a friend 15mins before they started because he'd burnt himself out and had over-heated. I must say, it was quite ridiculous. Who would have thought for a Muse show?
Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, they opened with 'Apocalypse Now' which got the already frothing at the mouth crowd to a point of over-excitment. Unluckily for me. Lol. I think I fell about 3 times, but it's all part of the fun right?
Every song was huge<which is a big effort,don't see that too often I don't think, but the standouts, ie. 'Bliss', 'Time is Running out' 'Hysteria' etc. lifted the roof. They put alot of emotional energy into the music, and conveyed it really well. There's something about the mix of piano and the singer's voice....
There was a great mix of old and new songs, and just the right amount of crowd interaction. The culmination towards the end was perfect too. A heap of black balloons fell from the roof, followed by a number of huge white balloons which were filed with confetti. All of that, plus the confetti canons going off during the last song (Stokholm Syndrome) made it quite the epic show. Can't wait to see them again!! :D :D

Last but not least was the show on the next night. Went and saw Sparta (they toured with Blink 182...ex-members of 'At the Drive in) at the Metro in Sydney. I'd never been there before actually, great venue though I found. Waiting around outside in the afternoon, we hung out with one of the supports and got to sneak in the back door and saw Sparta's sound check. Very cool. Lol. :D
They put on a great show, although I must admit many of the songs sounded rather similar. But they were good songs, so it was forgivable. I was really surprised at how good they were and the quality of their perfomance.They seemed to have a good base of very dedicated fans too, many of whom went to see them the Blink 182 shows and left when Blink came out (so they told me).
By this time my eyes were beginning to shut independantly, and I was kinda sore (it still hurts to breath when I take deep breaths :( ) which sucked, but t'was worth it for sure. :wink:
I can definately see them comming out to tour again soon and playing bigger venues. If they get some high rating commercial songs out, I think they have what it takes to become a fairly big band. I certainly walked away far more impressed than I thought I'd be.

All in all, a very big weekend for yours truely. Three super-excellent rock shows and very little sleep=totally awesome time!!! There is no better way to burn yourself out. :D :D

*Sorry I couldn't really remember the finer (most interesting) details of the actual acts,should've written this when it was fresh in my mind. Fear not, there will be a next time. Lol. :lol: Apparently The Cure and The Beastie Boys are playing the BDO? Sweet! Although I'd much rather just go to The Cure's side show. Failing that, there'll definately be a Powdefinger review early next year. :wink: Hahaha.
Alright, enough rambling, I'm sure you've all heard enough from me by now.
Time to go catch that land mullet I can see basking down the back yard....

Muhahaha, at my uni, Spiderbait was $8 (as was jebediah and shihad :p). Add $1 drinks to that equation, and they were all fan-bloody-tastic :D

Ripped off 4 bucks!! Hahaha. and I still had to pay a good $6.50 for drinks (Could've paid $3, but who drinks Breezers?).

But doesn't it make you feel bad that they probly had it that cheap 'cause they knew that's all you could afford out there? Lol. :wink:

hey HEY! er... yeah well, no comeback for that ;) And I'll admit, it was only middies for $1. Schooners were $1.50... but jugs are $4 ehehe :D

btw, I said Shihad, I should have said Pacifier. And yeah erin, "Black Betty" is great fun live :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back