Shinglebacks and east coast humidity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlloydy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was thinking of purchasing some shinglebacks...however, all the literature and discussions I have been readind/talking about seem to indicate they do poorly on the east coast due to high humidity.

Added to this, the room I was considering having them in does get quite warm on the hot days.

If I proceeeded, in an attempt to assist lower humidity would it hurt to run a humidifier directly behind the vent of the enclosure say for 10 mins or so every hour. This sucks air out and then blows it upwards so I was thinking this could assist in any issues...I know about all the facts about not leaving water bowl, too much wet greens etc but just trying to think of ways of maximising their comfort and ultimate long term survival.

FIO...I will be using a 1200l x 600 high x 450 wide melamine enclosure, running a 60W heat lamp and a UV 2.0 light set on a timer to run from 7am to 2200 daily.
I have setup enclosure with one end filled with a mix of river sand and sugar cane mulch (heated in oven for 30 mins to try and kill any nasties that may be in the mulch). I have setup a nice large terra cotta tile as a basking spot exactly 25 cm from the heat lamp (n.b lamp in photo is a normal party globe ATM).

Does this sound ok for them?.

Attachments

• 28102009264.jpg
    28102009264.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back