Shipping - guidelines for a successful outcome

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Somebody PM'd me during the week asking for hints on sucessful shipping. When I responded it was one of those messages that got lost just as I was about to send it so I had to re write the whole message. (Don't you hate that!)

Anyway I thought it worth putting up a thread on the subject. Below is my thoughts on what is likely to result in a good shipping outcome. Would anyone like to comment or add to the list?:
  1. [SIZE=+1]Use a sturdy container. The rule I apply that the package should be able to be stood (not jumped) on without damage.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=+1]I have shipped in cardboard boxes (for small animals) in the past but usually this is not the case. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=+1]For small animals some plastic containers, eg click clacks, can be sufficient.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=+1]I have used foam eskies in the past but always boxed them in ply. This is for larger animals or in one case for a quantity of hatchling childreni.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=+1]Do not ship on hot days anywhere along the journey. Heat will kill a herp far quicker than cold.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=+1]Don't ship an animal with a full tummy.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=+1]Communicate lots with the recipient to double check that they know they are to collect the animal from the airport. Let them know the shipping number when you get it. (These can be tracked on the web.)[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=+1]I usually seal the container so it is hard to open. For the wooden boxes with screws (letting the recipient know to bring a screw driver to the airport so they can open the box.) For other containers I use packing tape alone. Just something to ensure that curious fingers do not open it.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=+1]Put the animal(s) in cloth bags, inside out so there are no loose threads for them to get tangled in. Only one animal per bag. I then pad any void space with shreded paper so the animal does not move around when the container gets knocked.[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=+1]Add holes for ventilation.
    [/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=+1](...and most importantly) Use common sense.[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back