Short underwater video: Rye Pier, Victoria

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, cool. Love the "goodbye" shot of the seahorse disappearing into the distance. That is such steady footage. Forgive my ignorance, but do you hold it or strap it to you or what? How much is one of those things? Now that I've moved to Cairns I'm hoping to do some diving soon.

excellent footage there, watched your first dive vid from there too and thought I would let you know that I am pretty sure that the Seal with the fishing line around it's neck now lives in the Melbourne zoo and helps educate people on littering the oceans.

Awesome Vid - I've dived rye peir multiple times (especially night dives) and it is fantastic. Probably better than Portsea. great clip of the seal playing with the occy, but the bit that intrigued me was how the hell did you get the footage of the ray going just over the camera.

The other question - were you diving or snorkling? Sensational stuff if just doing it snorkling only

Fantastic

Beautiful :) I could watch it all day and the music is perfect
Thank you for sharing
Cheers
Sandee :)

Thanks for all the great comments everyone, it's very encouraging.

I ride my bike to Rye pier most mornings from home, then turn around and head for home,,,must bring my snorkel with me one day!

It's just not the same on the pier,: take up Baz on his offer and enter a new world!

these vids highlight our backyard here on the Mornington peninsula and i love them. Judy, Ill go snorkling with you if you want,

How lucky you are to have such a backyard, the bay on one side, surf beaches on the other, and those beautiful tigers and copperheads crammed in between!

I thought it said short underwear video...

Damn

Red and lacy:- I'm working on one of those, afterall the gopro is promoted as an action cam!

That is such steady footage. Forgive my ignorance, but do you hold it or strap it to you or what? How much is one of those things?
You can hold it or strap it on but it's hard to get steady footage. Most of mine is shot resting the camera on the bottom and leaving it there for a couple of minutes, that way it's rock solid steady, but it's often hard to frame the image you want - think I need to get one of the LCD screens you can now attach to the back to help with composing. The lens is very wide angle so you can usually just point and shoot.

The camera is around $300 if your lucky and it comes in a waterproof case, but to get sharp images underwater you MUST get a flat lens housing. Mine was about $60 I think.

thought I would let you know that I am pretty sure that the Seal with the fishing line around it's neck now lives in the Melbourne zoo and helps educate people on littering the oceans.

Unfortunately that must be another one! The seal in this video also has the fishing line and it's 2 ½ months between my visits. On my first visit someone told me fisheries had been down the day before checking on the seal and sussing it out. Someone said the other day they had reported it again to one of the wildlife authorities but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do. It seemed healthy enough otherwise:- it had just killed the octopus before I got there according to some divers. It had a completely different attitude towards me this time: it actually had a go at me to say keep away while I play with my octopus; perhaps it had too much attention from all the divers already throughout the day

the bit that intrigued me was how the hell did you get the footage of the ray going just over the camera.

The other question - were you diving or snorkling? Sensational stuff if just doing it snorkling only

very lucky, I was watching the ray from the surface a while and then dived down and he started coming towards me - seems quite inquisitive- just managed to put the camera on the ground and swim away before he got to me and fully expected him to shy away but he swam right over it and then a minute later partially over it again. Couldn't wait to get home that night and download the footage to see if I had got it!

I'm just snorkelling so I can't stay down very long, still need lots of practice. I usually dive down, spot something nice and set the camera down and retire to the surface for a few minutes before returning to pick it up. Think Rye Pier is maximum about 6m deep. Being able to stay down would be great but that will have to wait a while. The great part about snorkelling is that you can go at times other than when the dive shop is open so it's nice and quite – it's a pretty busy spot for divers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back