Show dogs exposed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
show dogs

I went to the world dog games the other day and I loved to watch the dogs and owners work very closely together. The dogs were extremely well trained and obviously loved what they were doing.

Alot of the dogs competing were cross breeds. Many had been rescued from the pound or RSPCA. The focus of the day was about the dog's ability and skills and not about the looks. It was great!

I wish more people would be able to enjoy their dogs more like this without worrying about pedigree or bloodlines. These dogs were fantastic and obviously having a great time.

More focus on events like these which celebrate the bond between dog and owner please!!! :)

The problem is that 'Crufts' and The Kennel club in UK set the breed standards worldwide mostly and therefore look to bring out the most pronounced qualities. It doesn't matter if there are health issues in those standards as long as they are met. Look at the poor Ridgeback, they have something akin to a deformed spine just to keep the ridge, 'normal' ridgbacks are destroyed or not allowed the pedigree name. Shepherds are so badly bred they can't walk properly. So many dogs are far from the genetic blueprint for the original animal to be unrecognisable as the same breed and almost an extinct breed.

Personally I would take a crossbreed or a non show purebred any time over a pedigree dog, I cry when I see the problems we have allowed to happen because we want the "best of the best" and bugger the consequences to the animal. As far as I'm concerned these breeders should never be allowed in a show ring and the standars need to change to bring the dogs back to healthy standards!

I used to have a 'pedigree' husky and she had so many health problems associated with her breed standard that she was put to rest at 4 years old due to seizures, hip, neck and back problems, all caused by inbreeding to get a better 'standard' as told to me by the breeder after I went back and told them about her problems.

Last edited:
Here is my show dog, as you can see he is clearly 'falling apart' :lol:

Kyza2310-2.jpg

You nearly had me fooled!
That's not a dog!:lol:

Um, a crossbreed is not a pedigree dog, so cannot be 'included' with pedigree dogs.

I never actually meant to indend that crossbreeds are pedigree's, I obviously worded that incorrectly. I actually meant that a lot of cross bred dogs have similar conditions to pedigree/pure bred dogs (i.e. doberman x labrador may have some problems associated with either labs or dobes)

Don't tar all pure breeds with the same brush, know the animals first, gather your facts and research the degree of inbreeding in this hobby too.

I own show dogs and we check our lines and research our pedigree well before we breed. There are many faults with cross breeds too, I personally know many breeders that will import semen from overseas at great cost to keep quality lines in Australia....the honest show people aim to improve the breed, not take it backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back