sick gecko help :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZz_93

Reaction score
one of my little milii(thick tailed) geckos looks crook :(
latley she seems to be off her food, and is getting a bit skinny. as these
on her front left leg, it almost seems to be broken at her wrist.
any ideas? these are my first gex, and i have never had to deal with gecko problems before?

i am charging my camera battery, will post pics soon :(

*she cant seen to walk that well

Attachments

• PA010440.jpg
    PA010440.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 103
  • PA010441.jpg
    PA010441.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 95
Most likely MBD is the problem by the look of it.

all their crickets are always dusted with calcium powder?

I dont know much about these guys but i think they need UV , do you use it?
Take it to the Vet but i dont think there is much they can do, all they can do is give antibiotics....hope....and wait.

i was told by previous owner, and other people that i dont need a UV? (no i dont have one in their)

anymore advise? is their any way i can encourage the little girl to eat?

have been trying to give her some crickets with tweezers, she tries to grab them, but seems to miss?.....

bumb, really worried bout the little gecko :(
any way of getting her to eat? how do you force feed a gecko?....

hey i don't know much about geckos but if you are dusting the crickets with calcium powder and don't have the UVB light on them they could have an overload of calcium, as the UVB light helps with the metabolism of the calcium, i could be wrong tho, i hope she get better

will put in a uv on the weekend. anything i can do in the meantime?

maybe not put any calcium on the crickets for a while, i only use calcium once or twice a week (but this is for my frogs) not sure with geckos, i hope some one else with experience can help you

got her to eat 3 crickets which is good. will be putting in a uv on the weekend, and speaking with the vet tomorrow.
hope she gets better, :(

It appears to be MBD. I had a small Barking just like yours get it and unfortunately, it was too far gone and needed 'taking care of'.

Your best bet is to talk to JasonL, he seems to be an expert on all matters MBD. Thanks to his advice, I managed to save the sibling of the one that was euthanaised as it can happen in clutches due to low calcium input by the female.

What I did is heat one end of the enclosure up to about 30oC with one hide dry and one moist and really humid. It was a slow process but they can come around if you can keep them feeding. From here on out it will need alot of calcium. I personally didn't bother with UV as well, the geckos are nocturnal and extremely photophobic.

If it doesn't keep feeding alot, it will be a down hill process that involves disfigured jaws, weak walking and movement, spasms of the limbs and eventual death. Once it shows little signs of recovery, the gecko will need to be euthanaised.

Good luck though, you can still bring it around with increased localised heat and humidity, increased calcium feeding. As long as it keeps feeding, your still in with a chance.

Here's some photos of the poor bugger that I needed to be put down.

Shedding problems can also be a sign of MBD. Again, all info is direct from the horses mouth..... JasonL.

thanks for your advise, now i come to think of it, i did need to give her a hand on her last shed. as for feeding, i had to kind of put in her mouth before she would take them, but once she had a bit of the cricket in her mouth (eg. Its head) she scoffed 'em down like there was no tomorrow. lets hope she gets better :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back