• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Pythons and Snakes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Silkworms - eggs and/or 1 week old hatchlings available now

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my silkies are on order!!
silkwormcity is a great to deal with!

: )

Hey Silkwormcity,

Got my silkies today!! Thanks, they are in fantastic condition and much bigger then i anticipated which is fantastic for Gizmo (my dragon). He loves them and loves you too!! :D

Anyways just a quick question. If they do breed and have eggs, am I meant to keep them in the fridge till next year? Is that how is works? Not sure how the breeding cycle works even though you sent my a information sheet.:oops:

Z

Princess 87, you absolutely can keep the eggs in fridge till the next year.

Hey Python_Princess87
If the climate is OK you can leave the eggs to hatch again this year - it takes a couple of weeks - I'm not sure exactly how long as I put mine in the fridge until the next year. This artificial "winter" is important to a successful hatching and links in with the mulberry trees losing their leaves over winter - so they have a summer lifecycle. It's great to be able to only take out how many you want to hatch - and 7 to 14 days later you have little black babies. Just think - you are part of an ancient practice of raising silkworms - originating centuries ago in Japan and China! To get a good number of moths and thus eggs, I would keep at least 15-20 silkworms to go to cocoon. There is no guarantee though as sometimes you get lots of males or lots of female moths, but even 1 or 2 females can make it worth it as they can lay a couple of hundred eggs each. And remember - you can feed the moths to your dragons after they've given you some eggs for next year!
Happy breeding - would love to hear how you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back