Skink diets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow skink people,
I'm curious to know what types of skink diets are being used and for what species. Most egernia's and tiliqua will eat almost anything, which are not necessarily good and wholesome. Another factor I find is being able to prepare food in small enough portions. Which commercial cat and dog foods are the best? What proportion animal to vegatable matter etc etc . All opinions please!
Bob

I pretty much stick with bugs and flowers/ greens, might give them a feed of Jellymeat once a month during summer

i think 'vegies' are a misconception with reptiles and diets. 'greens' make up a larger parts of a reptiles vegetation diet, than fruits or vegetables.

corn, carrots and peas arent too good. squash is excelent, beens are great for teeth and fibre. endive, arugula alfalpha and dandelion are great greens, mango, papaya and berry's are good fruits. dandelion flowers are also enjoyed by many australian reptiles. being a major part of beardies diets in the wild. these choices in greens, fruits and vegetables i would say would be beneficial for australian rpetiles who have vegetation in their diet.

'vegies' as part of a diet, isnt necessarily vegetables. but is usually ment as a term, to cover greens, vegetables and fruits..

hope this helps..

small roaches and crickets would be great from skinks, mealworms not so much, being unhealthy high in fat phosphorus, and chiten as well as a risk to health, via impaction. small silkworms may work.

good luck!!

i use fine cuttings of assortments (but still big enough for them to chew to minimise chances of periodontal disease) of fruit and vegies every other day.
they also recieve roaches and woodies (occasionaly mealworms...hey shoot me!)

btw just for reference these are southern water skinks and a young cunninghams skink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back