Skinny Bearded Dragon. Please help me!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough but IMO it is better to feed them out of the tubs for a number of reasons. Most keepers don't leave the basking light on 24/7 so it isn't good to have them eating too late in the day, you can also monitor how much each one is eating and you don't get crickets left in the tub/enclosure. And again, you don't feed mealworms to juvies. And heat pads, what.
No lights on in their tubs overnight , just their 7W heatpads (sandwiched between layers of tiles).

No lights on in their tubs overnight , just their 7W heatpads (sandwiched between layers of tiles).
Heatpads are not a good idea for beardies and again, they don't need constant heating at 37C 24/7. I know your beardies are older now but telling her to feed a skinny beardy mealworms is not good advise.

If you want to feed mealworms to juvies, make sure they are small ones and crack their heads first so if swallowed whole they wont eat their way out ;)

Heatpads are not a good idea for beardies and again, they don't need constant heating at 37C 24/7. I know your beardies are older now but telling her to feed a skinny beardy mealworms is not good advise.
Their pads take up only about 1/3 the tub space, my beardies love them and often sleep all night on them, but also regularly sleep in the cool unheated area under their fake rock ledge.

It's their choice, and having access to a nice toasty heat pad helps them digest their 2nd live insect (crickets) meal of the day (they are only juvis and need feeding 2x per day).

I'll soon be testing some 35W dichrotic halogen lamps and imported fully ceramic RS-GU10 adapters, 50W is too hot for my tubs . If these give an acceptable temperature at the UV basking spot I'll use these during the day along with the existing heat pads and 13W UV10A10B CFBs over winter.

They'll be in full size individual enclosures in spring with MVBs.

Last edited:
If you want to feed mealworms to juvies, make sure they are small ones and crack their heads first so if swallowed whole they wont eat their way out ;)
....an urban myth.

They need a basking spot, why don't you put them in an actual enclosure. Why are new keepers so cocky these days. You may be happy with your questionable techniques but you should refrain from giving advice until you actually know what your doing. Keeping a heat mat in a plastic tub regardless is a bad idea, aside from the fact it is for a basking lizard.

Their pads take up only about 1/3 the tub space, my beardies love them and often sleep all night on them, but also regularly sleep in the cool unheated area under their fake rock ledge.

It's their choice, and having access to a nice toasty heat pad helps them digest their 2nd live insect (crickets) meal of the day (they are only juvis and need feeding 2x per day).

I'll soon be testing some 35W dichrotic halogen lamps and imported fully ceramic RS-GU10 adapters, 50W is too hot for my tubs . If these give an acceptable temperature at the UV basking spot I'll use these during the day along with the existing heat pads and 13W UV10A10B CFBs over winter.

They'll be in full size individual enclosures in spring with MVBs.

Ianinoz
Rob
33s152e

I'll let you decide..........

I have seen a juvie beardie that was fed on meal worms dead with the hole in its stomach...... explain that.

It was my cousins and the only explanation we could come up with is the meal worms, unless theres a better one.

....an urban myth.

I have seen a juvie beardie that was fed on meal worms dead with the hole in its stomach...... explain that.

It was my cousins and the only explanation we could come up with is the meal worms, unless theres a better one.

More likely rogue (hiding) adult crickets had a go at him in his sleep. Those buggers can do serious damage to anything edible and soft including each other.

class="wysiwyg_dashes" border="1"
|- class="wysiwyg_dashes_tr"
| class="wysiwyg_dashes_td" | Mealworm
| class="wysiwyg_dashes_td" |
Ca/P
1:25​

| class="wysiwyg_dashes_td" width="7%" |
Protein
20.3%​

| class="wysiwyg_dashes_td" width="6%" |
Fat
12.7%​

Fibre
1.7%​

H20
62%​

| class="wysiwyg_dashes_td" width="38%" | Low calcium, high phosphorus & fat, hard chitin shell
|-

Mealworms - Not entirely empty calories , OK as treats.

It was fed outside its enclosure in a separate tub, it was the meal worm plain and simple, and it seems I'm not the only one who's seen it......

This could go on forever..... but im not a noob, the dragon is one I bred and gave to him, then he followed someone elses advice instead of listening to me when I said exactly what I said here...... dont feed them mealworms, if you do feed the smaller ones and crush their heads

Why is it when people get young beardies everyones an expert?
The amount of times i had someone call after getting one saying somethings wrong only to find out they followed either a pet shop or an overnight experts advice and the beardie had heat stroke, impaction or was too cold on only a heat mat...

More likely rogue (hiding) adult crickets had a go at him in his sleep. Those buggers can do serious damage to anything edible and soft including each other.

if a lizard isnt at the right temp for digesting i do believe its possible for worms to eat their way out, i only ever feed them freshly shed worms (soft and pure white) when they lizards are at optimal temps.

mealworms are like hot chips in my opinion, yummy, but pretty much empty calories.

superworms are especially nasty, they can eat a each other from the tail end all the way to the head and the few mms of head end is still very much alive.

Ok so by the looks of everyones comments. I definitely shouldn't feed mealworms? (Not that i was considering that option anyway because those things creep me out haha)
Now that they have been at my apartment and set up for around 2 weeks now with me constantly checking on them and feeding them and just stepping up my keeping skills they seem to be going a lot better. Still not really interested in their greens until i feed them it on my fingers. I actually made the vegetables in a blender (not so its impossible for them to eat but its alot smoother) and they seem to love that instead of chopped up chunks. Is that ok to be feeding to them? All i'm thinking is 'at least they are eating their vegetables'.
They have been eating alot more crickets now, and seem to be putting on weight. I will invest in some scales that will actually read their weight though so i can definitely tell if they are.
I'm hoping that everything i'm doing is good so i can make sure they are happy and healthy.

Although one thing i have been noticing is the smaller bearded tends to scratch at the glass alot trying to escape it looks like. Is there a reason behind that? Usually once i turn the heat off it calms down so could it be the fact it is too hot? although the temperature is at 39 degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back