Slateman feeding method

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always try to keep the water that they are defrosting in very hot (sometimes i do worry,as would they same nutrition from half cooked food).Don't like the idea of letting the food come back down to room temp though fear of bacteria.I dust their food usually once or twice every couple of months for the older guys,reckon it is a good idea to dust pinkies as said earlier each time they are feed.

I defrost in a container placed in hot water. The rats are dryish. With the change in weather in the last couple of weeks feeding is just offering the rodent to the snake. Garbage guts strikes instantly while the snake I've previously had trouble feeding hesitates for 3 to 5 seconds then strikes.
And they are both alert and looking for food the next day.

Still havent got around to trying a rabbit yet slatey, maybe if i oil its head eh? dont think i could do it with kids around.....rat= no big deal, bunny= nightmares! lol

Just let your kids know it's not a ''bunny'' it's a feral vermin and has to go! That's what I'd tell my kids anyway.

africancichlidau said:
LOL Hawks, 32 deg here today and 31 yesterday and 39 on Saturday :) Had to put the A.C. on :)

Yeah African 32 Kelvin not celcius lol :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

Just to add to the mix:

Thaw in water at 55 celcius (in a container- I am not anal its just what the electronic sensor goes up to) with a couple of water changes over about 15-30 minutes depending on size.

I preplan how much I am going to feed as "The Gannet" will eat anything thrown his way.

I feed in largish container with tongs and leave the rat wet (extra water can't hurt and probably has a lubricating effect).

I don't supplement with anything as technically it shouldn't be needed for snakes.

Cheers Hawkeye

i thaw in warm water for about 5 minutes for a pinky and about 15 mins for an adult mouse. I don't dry it. I present the prey on tongs and hold it infront of the snake. Usually they strike out at the prey before it has entered the cage. If they don't i hold it infront of them. I feed inside the cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back